buddy box wiring

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: buddy box wiring

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:51 am

I wouldn't have thought space a problem in Twinstars from pictures I've seen online.

Yes, well, the reality is a bit different you have to be an epo miner to get stuff in. The place that you would think you could use most easily is blocked by the wing mountings that go right into the fuselage.
I'm thinking of making a sort of drawer to slide everything in from the side but I have already tunnelled out quite a bit so the structural integrity is an issue, plus I have attached an undercarriage so weakening the bottom is not a good idea.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: buddy box wiring

Postby mikem » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 am

I'm thinking of making a sort of drawer to slide everything in from the side but I have already tunnelled out quite a bit so the structural integrity is an issue, plus I have attached an undercarriage so weakening the bottom is not a good idea.

Your idea of a drawer reminded me of the ER-2...

Some of the old Lockheed U-2 spy planes were converted into research planes by NASA and redesignated ER-2. I got a chance to look over an ER-2 at the local airbase back when everyone was studying gaps in the ozone layer. These guys were flying high-altitude trips to the North Pole taking data. We're at 45°N but that's still quite a long, and uncomfortable they told me, round trip ride. Apparently the view is spectacular at 60,000+ feet.

That plane has much the same problem as EPO models, no space and delicate structure. The pilot has barely enough room to wiggle. The pilots talk about how they "wear" the aircraft.

To mount the bulky instrument package or cameras, ER-2's (and U-2's I suppose) have a large 'drawer', that inserts up from below, behind the pilot, occupying a big chunk of the fuselage's cross-section. The ground crew has a dandy roll-around lift just to insert and remove these modules.

I can imagine a similar miniature electronics module plugging through the bottom of an AXN, maybe into a CF box that would preserve airframe strength.
mikem

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)