Best glue for epp?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Best glue for epp?

Postby cynr100 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 am

Silly question Bio, but have you tried the trusty old hot glue gun :?: :D or does that damage EPP :?: :?
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby S-rob » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:32 am

Avoid any water based glue. Ive tested a few, all hopeless, after 24hours still not dry.
all glue comes in thin thick & medium, medium seems to be a good all-round glue

My recommendations
- the cheap ass glue that comes with cheap ass foam planes. Works really well, stays flexible.Hobbyking sells it about $2 a tube.
Ive built complete planes with only this glue, incl gluing fuselage halves together
Uhu POR is supposedly good, available in craft/arts shops
- hot glue, If the glue gun has been on too long, turn it off a bit to cool down. If it gets really hot it can melt the foam a bit too much.
It actually seems to work by slightly melting itself into the foam,(so the low temp/small/portable glue guns are hopeless)
- CA glue. The non foam safe stuff, without kicker . If really needed, Just use a tiny bit of kicker on the edge to hold it together as it dries,
Kicker supposedly makes CA brittle, Dunno, cant confirm.
- Some 15minute Epoxy works, wouldnt try & build a whole plane with it though. Just too many different flavors of epoxy, so go by others recommendations

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... um_b_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... l_20g.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _5_oz.html
S-rob

Postby mikem » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am

Mbanzi wrote:in my opinion the only adhesive that works with EPP is Homax Welder Adhesive.... You want to avoid any adhesive that doesn't flex, like CA or epoxy.

Welder Adhesive is great stuff, for sure. The inflexibility of CA, as well as good bonding, seemed to me to be positive feature, particularly on the Matrix EPP 3D.
mikem

Postby quarry44 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Here is the silicon glue that I'm using:
However EPP is funny stuff,so no guarantee it will work on that.But at $2.49 30ml bottle.it's worth a try.
quarry44

Postby Stroman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Has anyone tried Gorilla Glue? It is a polyurethane adhesive I believe and should not attack the foam. It does expand as it cures so very little would be needed.
Stroman

Postby quarry44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:28 am

Gorilla glue is ok,but it's expansion can cause problems like forcing apart glued surfaces,unless clamped.It also takes quite a while to cure.
quarry44

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 am

Just an update, I ended up using the Selleys Durabond glue.

Pros:

-- Quite strong

-- Set slow so easy to position

-- Easy to work with in general before it sets

Cons:

-- When it sets the glue expands and gets WAY TOO THICK

-- The thick nature of the glue ruins my nice model with this yellow goop :(

-- I personally find the goop very hard to remove from the model & a pain

-- Takes a while to set compared to hot glue & axn mystery glue

-- Only comes in large 600ml bottle

Overall:

Pretty decent glue, although next time I get the chance I'll use some clear foam safe ca glue. The most important issue on my mind was structural integrity, seeming for the most the wings were merely being held together by the glue.

Also did a test run today & found the prop was horrible out of balance, as a result it flew of the motor mount @ full throttle. The prop has a tiny scratch in it, might not take my changes and instead use a new spare prop. Anyone got good technique for balancing prop without a prop balancer?
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 am

cynr100 wrote:
BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Somewhere deep in the bowels of my memory

That is not conjuring up a pleasant image!

Uh..oh... looks like Bill is identity experimenting..............again :lol: :lol:

You can talk... an up and down the pole split personality!

This is the glue they give with the AXN so it should be what's required for EPO I'm getting some with my next order along with foam-safe super glue:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17535
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:37 pm

If you go with the "AXN"type glue,better get a good stock in.Once you've opened the tube,it needs to be used up fairly quickly,say,within a week,or it will go really thick and become useless.You could roll it into a ball and play ping pong with it i suppose :twisted:
quarry44

Postby S-rob » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 am

quarry44 wrote:If you go with the "AXN"type glue,better get a good stock in.Once you've opened the tube,it needs to be used up fairly quickly,say,within a week,or it will go really thick and become useless.You could roll it into a ball and play ping pong with it i suppose :twisted:

Thats why you buy the little tubes. ;)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... l_20g.html

But honestly, I dont seem to have that issue with most of my glue. Some tubes have been opened over a year ago & still OK. Most are absolutely OK after some months.
Some do dry up in the tubes, not all. For .65c a tube its really a non issue.
S-rob

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)