I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:45 am

I don't like to put a fly in the ointment at this late date but personally having flown an axn for a while now I wouldn't recommend it to a learner to actually learn on!
Firstly because of the launching difficulties.
Secondly because of the tendency to nose over when applying throttle.
Thirdly because it isn't self righting like a properly set up trainer.
Its easy to fly when you have some experience and glides and soars beautifully ideal for the small FPV pack (that will be along in a minute) :lol: but I would recommend a trainer type to start with such as:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor ... 265mm.html
Which seems ideal, it's made of epo has a front mounted engine and tricycle landing gear.
Maybe change the servos though!
Incidentally ignore the CG at your peril its really important.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby drg964 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:I don't like to put a fly in the ointment at this late date but personally having flown an axn for a while now I wouldn't recommend it to a learner to actually learn on!
Firstly because of the launching difficulties.
Secondly because of the tendency to nose over when applying throttle.
Thirdly because it isn't self righting like a properly set up trainer.

I got lucky and ended up doing my first flight with a group of guys, one being very experienced, and they got me up with in the first day.

They recommended taking off at full throttle with a hand on the elevator stick and hey presto I was flying (off into the distance...). Once I got high enough I throttled down and practiced gliding back with some success (except for obstacles in the way like goal posts and the ground).

I'm interested in trying out your recommendation Bill but it will have to wait till I brought the next purchase being a Bixler 2
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:54 am

Did Bill mention the Backpack?

Here's mine I call it the AXN Backpack, it takes a couple of hours to make, works 100% and is great fun too...

When you factor in all the costs, time and other issues involved in getting parts etc from China, this will have you in the air, flying and giggling like Cynr100 being hugged by a giant Canadian :shock: :? :lol:

I made the tongue to keep it steady at the camera end and fashioned the other end to fit well into the fuse. The Canopy was my wife's idea, not sure if I will actually fly with it, but at least she's interested :roll:

AXN Backpack Front.jpg
AXN Backpack Front.jpg (107.65 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

AXN Backpack Out.jpg
AXN Backpack Out.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG (152.54 KiB) Viewed 17509 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am

I've seen heaps of guys trying to get planes up and about (myself included) and it tends to end up in disaster, so I recommend your first FPV project to be an AXN. It's easy to fly (although I agree with Bill about the trainer issue, not good for learning the "right way"), it has predictable characteristics when you're familiar with your plane and it has eight to 10 minute flight times, which is plenty at first. FPV videos to come very soon...

Check my YouTube channel in the next week for my review of the DX18 from Model Flight. I'm excited about this radio transmitter and cannot wait to share the details of what it can do with you all...

Here's more AXN Backpack pics...

IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG (174.8 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG (163.19 KiB) Viewed 17509 times

IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG (169.06 KiB) Viewed 17509 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:20 am

giant Canadian

?
Is this about (aboot) cats?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:36 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
giant Canadian

?
Is this about (aboot) cats?

Ask him - I can't stop laughing long enough to tell the story :lol:
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:23 pm

Now I'm Concerned!

BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 pm

He has found a club in the area and been flying (yes not heading for the nearest solid form - but flying) and his first flight he was assisted from the rear by a rather large framed Canadian gentleman.

At least I hope he was gentle given it was his first time :o :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Here I decided to add the Hornet OSD. Total pack weight 125g - Total flying weight 835g.

BTW I have the IRC 5.8GHz 100mW VTx on this one because the 600mW was faulty. BevRC are in the process of exchanging it now...

The OSD is the Hornet from the FY31-AP module and for those interested I am scrapping the FPV Raptor project and building the X8 Wing instead. :mrgreen:

IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG (146.69 KiB) Viewed 17490 times
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................... jesting at my expense :o :roll:

Yes the Canadian did get me flying and I will be going back for more this weekend.... ;) The AXN has been repaired. An unsupervised attempt resulted in a contact with power lines, I dodged the other 4 sets of goal posts 6 light towers and a tree line :lol: :lol:

HM, kudos to your missus for the canopy concept.

Scrapping the Raptor project.................... :o ....... :?: :?:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)