The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Postby AirBornOne » Fri May 07, 2010 8:48 pm

As for the fit of the FrSky Futaba module,even if I had to custom fit the module it would be a non-issue as I don't routinely swap modules and would only be required once.
I ordered the FrSky ( I like to say 'Frisky' ) Futaba kit.
Great info.
Skies.
J.
AirBornOne

Postby vane » Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Only problem I( had with the fit was when I last put my transmitter together, the board with the pins hadn't seated, no problem with frsky what so ever, and as for the pin connection, I need to literally click the clips in and pull it out a good few millimeters for the connection to be lost.

For now I have had nothing bad happen with the frsky, haven't had a flight as of yet :) one of those injection moulded screw driver things to press the Rx bind button would be a nice touch.

Bruce, do these transceivers have the ability to detect the signal strength between them? could it be possible by way of a buzzer on the module to make a lost model alarm? So the frequency of the buzzer tells you whether your close or not.
vane

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 08, 2010 7:52 am

The FrSky telemetry does beep when you start getting a weak signal but with the GPS-based add-on I've developed, you'll also get the current (or last known) position displayed as GPS coordinates, plus as a heading and distance.

This can make it a *lot* easier to track down a missing model.

By adding a GPS to the transmitter side, you'd get a constant update of the distance and direction you'd need to travel to reach your lost model.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby coronarc.nz » Sat May 08, 2010 9:47 am

Bruce... what about the adding the ability to turn the model to semi-autonomous mode...? so if you reach an area where the signal is weak or lost, you can flick a switch and have the model automatically return to you based on GPS path flown or return coordinates (like your automated model)...? I presume this means a lot more "brains" required onboard the model...?
coronarc.nz

Postby Merf » Sat May 08, 2010 11:01 am

We use autopilot systems for remote sensing research, built from off-the-shelf products. It is now possible to build such systems within a reasonable budget. Something to consider with a GPS "take-over" failsafe: if you live in the USA you may run into trouble with the FAA because autonomous aircraft are more strictly regulated than our traditional rc models.
Merf

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I have designed and built an autopilot system as part of some UAV development work I was doing a couple of years ago.

These days there are a growing number of "off the shelf" solutions on the market including these from Sparkfun
and this from HiModel.

Since this is an area I've specialized in for several years I'd be happy to do some comparison reviews if there's enough interest.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 pm

I kept buying everytime new Chinese 2.4 came out for curiosity. I accumulated 5 brands and 17 receivers.

I flight tested them all and all Chinee radios never crashed. Two brands that crashed were US made XPS and Spektrum DSM1 original version. XPS replaced the old version with new one which is now OK. I got rid of Spektrum DSM1.

Now seeing the result of shootout, I decided to stick with FrSky. What shall I do with the rest of radios I collected? I have Assan, Corona, iMAX/Hobby King/FlySky, FlyDream, XPS, Spektrum DSM2 DX-7. Anybody want any of them?
johnkim100530

Postby Lead Wings » Sun May 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Good review x-jet. I have a HK 2.4 GHz system, JR 2610 hacked with Assan and Spektrum DX7. Personnally I am perfectly happy with my Assan system - for both performance, functionality and price. The Spektrum is also good (got it for US$220 with 7 channel Rx), but as we all know the Rx's are expensive. I am soon to hack the DX7 with the Assan module.

From my experience your conclusion on the Assan is right - about the middle-order - doesn't have some of the features of some of the other systems, but good quality, resonable price and perfectly functional. I also agree with the overall conclusion - ultimately we the consumers are the winners with the new 2.4 GHz systems.

I have no experience with the FrSky, but based on your reviews I think this is what I would be recommending to others from now on. Also looking oforward to what comes out of the telemetry.
Lead Wings

Postby Lead Wings » Sun May 09, 2010 6:04 pm

johnkim100530 wrote:Now seeing the result of shootout, I decided to stick with FrSky. What shall I do with the rest of radios I collected? I have Assan, Corona, iMAX/Hobby King/FlySky, FlyDream, XPS, Spektrum DSM2 DX-7. Anybody want any of them?

John, I would be interested in you Assan stuff, and have a mate who would be interested in the DX7.

I tried to PM you but it didn't work - can you try PMing me?
Lead Wings

Postby coronarc.nz » Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 am

Wasn't the Assan system less tollerant of interferance on the channels it opperated on?
coronarc.nz

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers