Sense And Avoid (SAA)

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Sense And Avoid (SAA)

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 am

My apologies for neglecting the forums for quite some time -- I've been so busy that checking out the postings here seldom makes it to the top of my to-do list.

However, I thought I should tell folks a little about what I've been working on --

It's a Sense And Avoid (SAA) system for FPV fliers.

The goal is to come up with a small, lightweight, affordable add-on to your FPV model that will ensure you won't accidentally fly into the path of a full-sized aircraft, a building or any other object that could be damaged by or cause damage to your model (the ground excepted of course) :lol:

This is a breakthrough design that relies on both passive (ie: just listening) and active (actually transmitting something) technologies to create a 3D model of the world around your FPV plane.

It's working on the bench right now (it can tell me when there are cars passing down the road two blocks away from my house) and the next task is to build a flight-ready version. I can't just put the current prototype in a model because it's big, heavy and fragile -- consisting of a multitude of different circuit boards, modules, cables, connectors and wires. In order to make it flight-worthy I'm going to have to miniaturize it and do things like replace the laptop PC which does the number-crunching with a dedicated ARM microcontroller.

So I'm awaiting some components at the moment -- although there's plenty to be getting on with, designing PC layouts, working on the software, etc.

I'm hoping that this will be a unit that can plug in between your receivers and your servos (or flight-controller) and tuck neatly away inside the fuselage of your FPV model, doing absolutely nothing until a threat of collision occurs -- whereupon it will automatically set your FPV plane on a course which is divergent with the course of any approaching aircraft or other object -- towards the point of origin where possible.

Why am I making this?

Well mainly because it's pretty obvious that without an effective SAA system, the aviation regulators around the world will never give their approval for FPV flights that go beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS). Only when we can demonstrate to them that our models will automatically avoid any situation where a collision with full-sized aircraft might occur, will they open that door for us.

There's also the nascent UAV marketplace. Right now, regulators all over the globe are trying to figure out how they'll be able to allow UAVs to operate in the same airspace as full-sized aircraft -- without creating additional dangers for those full-sized craft. In fact, NASA has a $1.5m SAA challenge going right now -- although, because I'm not a US resident and I don't own a company in the USA, I'm not eligible (yeah, sucks).

Right now, the anticipated "retail price" of my design would probably run at about $200-$300, depending on the economies of scale associated with volume manufacture.

The first flight tests will hopefully take place sometime in Q1 of 2013 but I'll do my best to keep people up to date with how things are going through this forum and the RCModelReviews YouTube Channel.

And don't worry -- this is an "evening" project so it won't interfere (too much) with all those reviews, "how-to's" and DIY projects that are planned for this southern summer.

Oh yeah -- and I killed about 40 spam accounts too.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Sense And Avoid (SAA)

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 am

And don't worry -- this is an "evening" project so it won't interfere (too much) with all those reviews, "how-to's" and DIY projects that are planned for this southern summer.

Hmmm....!
If you can really detect cars moving two blocks away through your house walls the US military will be paying you a call!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
Oh yeah -- and I killed about 40 spam accounts too.

:D :D thankyou................and the project sounds interesting as well .... :ugeek: .
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby AltechMYOB » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:technologies to create a 3D model of the world around your FPV plane....

tuck neatly away inside the fuselage of your FPV model...

Right now, the anticipated "retail price" of my design would probably run at about $200-$300...

¡Ay, caramba! :D

Bruce... to good to be true!

RCModelReviews wrote:NASA has a $1.5m SAA challenge going right now -- although, because I'm not a US resident and I don't own a company in the USA, I'm not eligible (yeah, sucks).

Well I'd bet somebody would come up with that sort of cash if you pull it off...

But are you sure this isn't like the Irish magician??

Instead of pulling a rabbit out of his hat he pulled a hair out of his bum! :mrgreen:
AltechMYOB

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Ha ha... :-)

So far so good and I'm still very optimistic. Right now I'm up to my eyeballs writing code for the ARM processor that does all the heavy number-crunching -- and that's quite a lot of fun.

I'll start doing some videos soon to show people the progress to date.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:11 am

Glad to see the announcement Bruce, I am excited about this one for sure. Also glad to see there will be a dollar in it for you because it's time you're rewarded for your efforts (even if it's only a NZ dollar :lol: ).

Hopefully having a price attached to it will keep all the 'want it now Trolls' away :shock: :roll:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to FPV