---HELP--- I've had a brief taste of fpv and now I need more

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

---HELP--- I've had a brief taste of fpv and now I need more

Postby Bio Hazzard » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

--The Story--

Well today I decided to rig up an old and quite large UHF transmitter to my Tek Sumo wing with a cheap camera, basically just parts I had lying around. Well here's the low-down on my Tek Sumo, when I built it I did a crappy job and ever since I've been having problems with it :/ Well recently I've got it to fly alright (well enough for my liking) so I stuck ye oldie transmitter on such plane. Slight problem when I got ready to launch I kinda forget that the motor has a lot of noise coming from it, basically when I applied throttle the screen on my pocket Casio went white D: But it was in my blood, I couldn't wait any longer for bruces FPV kits to be finished & shipped. So I did what anyone would, I flew the wing as high as I could and glided down where my vision would (hopefully) be restored. But the incredible load made it almost impossible to fly, The quite large dt750 motor pushed with all its might and the plane slowly gained altitude. Until finally it was high enough for my liking and I cut the motor, surely enough vision was restored and I glided down with the wondrous power of FPV. I was amazed, I knew then and there that I had to fly FPV!!! Then the plane hit the ground, the Tek Sumo doesn't glide well so it hit the ground sooner then I expected. Putting down the pocket TV I looked up, on the screen was a picture of some green grass. I suddenly realised that all of the grass was green and the plane was no where to be found. So I asked my spotter 'where did you see the plane land?' he replied 'I was watching the TV screen, I don't know' I then thought 'Oh crap we're screwed, planes gone' After searching for ten minutes we eventually found it laying on one end of the park, all in one piece. So did we leave it there? NO, I tried my luck again, but after two more attempts the plane was just too heavy to fly successively more then once it appeared, and on the second shot the motor got torn of its mount. I don't think I'm going to be flying that plane for a while :(

--My Problem--

After flying for that sort period I knew I NEEDED to fly FPV again, so I ask what should I do? Wait for bruces kit or spend a little more for pre-done stuff from china? I'm thinking of using the Cyclops Storm OSD, 5.8G 200mW TX & RX video system, A cloverleaf antenna and a Sony 600 TVL Camera (the one bruce uses) So do I wait or do I jump for the stuff from china? I could always sell the RX&TX once bruce gets his stuff done. I guess my broken Tek Sumo means I need a new plane too, any suggestions? Also Christmas is coming up, so spending a bit more is O.K.

Cheers,
Bio Hazzard
Bio Hazzard

Re: ---HELP--- I've had a brief taste of fpv and now I need

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:19 am

UPDATE: I've decided to give my old clunky UHF setup 1 more go, this time I'm gonna add a capacitor in parallel to the power harness powering it to hopefully smooth out the line removing all the noise, I am also going to add a ferrite maybe that'll help too?

And here's a pic for those who were wondering what mess I've got myself into:

Bio Hazzard

Postby Bio Hazzard » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 am

Well I just can't wait any longer. I'm gonna fork up the extra money to buy an rx/(200mw)tx for $60 I'll buy the sony 600TVL camera & looks like the bixler 2 is gonna get the chance to be my new plane (sorry axn, just not enough cockpit room) + the cyclops OSD with RTH (I'll also buy the CL antenna from bevrc too).

So if anyone else still wants to influence my opinion then speak now or forever hold your silence!

Cheers Bio
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 am

Bio,
PM Hallmark and ask him for a pic of his AXN setup, I tried looking but can't remember where it was posted. Agreed there is more room in the Bix 2, have seen two at my field but no comments forth coming regarding there full load flying.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 am

Thanks for replying, but do you think other parts like an OSD with rth is worth buying? $140 for that extra stuff is a bit and the other stuff I had on parts list seems fine yeah?
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

Bit hard for me to answer as I am still only buzzing around with a cheap key fob camera :lol: :lol:

However, if it was my money and I was going the FPV route an OSD would be a must. An RTH only if I planned BVR.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Ok I decided on the cyclops osd, seeming if it saves my plane once with RTH it pays for itself :P I've gone with 200mw 5.8ghz transmitter from HK & CL antennas from BEVRC.

I still haven't made up my mind on a plane yet. The thing that worries me about the bixler is that its gonna take a while to assemble and maybe for someone who doesn't like building planes so much (maybe not so great at it :/) and prefers just to fly them I would be better off fixing my axn, which btw I've bought part for on my HK order.

So I'm gonna choose either:

1) Fix axns broken nose using cynr100's advanced bottle strengthening (ABS) technique & replace broken motor
2) Buy new arf axn with motor for $38 - I have enough spares to fully equip plane
3) Buy Bixler 1 or 2 - I have no idea what configuration works well no a Bixler for fpv :(

Also I might start another thread where I give some free nick-nacks away, for example the reason I'm replacing the motor on my axn is due to the fact that the wires have come off and I don't have the skills or knowledge to get them back on or rewind the motor (both options I've looked at) so maybe someone whose willing to spend the time & effort practicing winding motors or something would like a free motor to practice on? atm it seems to be mainly motors / servos which I'm breaking ("using" imo) the fastest. So if anyone wants non-functioning motors or servos with striped gears it's getting a bit packed @ mine - stay tuned for details
Bio Hazzard

Postby mkuvy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Consider Crius AIO Pro + MinimOSD + ArduPlaneNG firmware (how-to thread in-progress: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777474). This is what I put on my bird after Nova OSD failed for no good reason. Cyclops OSDs are good when they work, but they fail sometimes, and you have to replace the whole board.
mkuvy

Return to FPV