2.4 rx aerials

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

2.4 rx aerials

Postby hohocc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm changing over from PCM gear to frsky 2.4, is there anything to watch with regard to where the rx and its aerials sit within the model? I've read somewhere (can't find where) that 2.4 rx aerial placement is not necessarily logical to the uninitiated!
I assume the aerials must not touch each other but beyond that am in the dark, and the instructions don't say anything on the subject.
Thanks.
hohocc

Re: 2.4 rx aerials

Postby cynr100 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 pm

If you are using the twin aerial Rx's lay the wires at 90deg to each other, this will allow the diversity aspect of the Rx provide best reception coverage.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Stroman1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Just the unshielded portion of the antennas need to be at 90 degrees to one another. Also watch to not put the antennas inside a carbon fiber fuselage as they will be blocked by the carbon fiber. I use the little 4 channel rx's in models that I fly .40 size nitro engines on and have never had a glitch even at the limit of my vision on a 50 inch span model. The new mark II 4 channel units advertise 1000 meters or more and I'm using the Mark I version which only advertises 500 meters plus. This is good stuff. Just try to keep the antennas as far away from the rest of the components as you reasonably can. Good luck in your venture into 2.4 GHZ.
Stroman1

Postby Stroman1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 pm

PS I forgot to mention how much I like the failsafe function on the FrSky equipment. I set it up on all my models. I will forever be in Bruce's debt for the work he did in his testing and evaluation of the FrSky equipment. I had done one conversion using another manufacturer's equipment and there is no comparison. I have now converted 4 transmitters using the hack modules and one using the plug in unit. The hack modules are all V8 series and the plug in module is a telemetry unit. One TX is an old Hitech and the rest are Futaba.
Stroman1

Postby hohocc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 pm

I've used the modules in my 2 txs and have now had a couple of flights, all going well. For some reason although I ordered the non telemetry modules and rxs I got non telemetry rxs but telemetry modules which are compatible with my rxs (and of course with telemetry rxs), so if I change my mind on telemetry later the option is still open which was a pleasant surprise.
You are right, the failsafe seems a great thing to have, and really I can't see a good reason not to set it up just in case, it's easy enough to do.
All the models I have are older balsa construction, so should be no issues with carbon blocking any signal!
Thanks for the advice.
hohocc

Postby cynr100 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:34 am

The Frsky non-telemetry module was discontinued in the last year, good planning on their part to make all Rx's compatible.
I'm the only one at my field using FrSky and have never had any issues,even with the 4ch units out to 500m and up to 10 in the sky at once. Money well spent.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby drg964 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:25 am

cynr100 wrote:I'm the only one at my field using FrSky

Umm, no your not. I'm using the FrSky DIY module in the Turnigy 9x :P
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby cynr100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 am

Ooops................. :oops:
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 am

cynr100 wrote:Ooops................. :oops:

And that would be why you have not had signal losses like the guys with Spectums ;)
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 pm

at my field

You took my advice and joined a club?

bonum, nosse vos effugerunt purgamentorum operatur
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to Radios and Servos