Non GPS based RF Tracker

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Non GPS based RF Tracker

Postby Basadia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 am

I recently lost a Skywalker :cry: which went down in heavy treas due to an APM2 failure. What I am interested in is if there is a non GPS based tracker readily available that does not rely on GPS or the phone cell network for connectivity. Many locations we fly are out of cell range, this means that any cell based system is only as good as the mobile phone coverage in the area.

If I had a true rf tracking option there would have been a good chance for me to get my plane back. What I am looking for is a compact option that I can fit into my plane that on loss of plane will allow me to track the plane using some sort of directional antenna.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced option that would provide this solution? Surely if the animal wildlife guys can track their animals for long periods we could adapt something to the RC industry.
Any feedback welcomed.
cheer
Basadia

Re: Non GPS based RF Tracker

Postby A10FLYR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:51 am

An FrSky telemetry system using a Yagi at the TX module? I know there are systems developed for RC that have 50 mile capabilities...just don't know offhand what the names are. Do a Google search....
Dean,
A10FLYR

Postby iflylilplanes » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 am

One of my fellow club mates told me how he used the telemetry on his FPV to home in on his lost model, the screen on his transmitter gives him an updated signal strength back from the FPV gear in the model, he changed from the standard antenna to a patch antenna. He just zeroed in on the strongest signal and walked to the model witch went down a good 500 metres away. I'm not sure if this would work at greater distances.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby WildWill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:26 am

Not quite sure why you wouldn't want to utilize the GPS. This is just another thought.

Depending on the OSD that you have if you have the GPS on board it is sending the telemetry data in a stream on the audio channel. The idea here is that you can input that data after a crash and have the exact location of your lost plane. I know for a fact that EZOSD does this as I have used it in the past to create tract files in google earth.
WildWill

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am

If you install frsky telemetry with rssi you can find the plane see these posts from last year
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1667&p=12477#p12477
Of course it relies on the plane surviving the impact with the battery connections and the RX still connected.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to FPV