This Way Up to discuss Drones/UAVs on Saturday 12pm.

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

This Way Up to discuss Drones/UAVs on Saturday 12pm.

Postby DancesWithCages » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 am

I heard a brief ad for this weekends This Way Up on RadioNZ National today. From what I heard I gather they'll be discussing the use of drones/UAVs/etc as camera platforms, which could be interesting and informative. At the end of the ad they also mentioned they'll be discussing what your rights are 'If one of these flies over your back yard' which made me cringe and think there may be a hatchet job in the pipeline.
I'll be listening to the podcast after work anyway, but thought someone might appreciate a heads-up.
DancesWithCages

Re: This Way Up to discuss Drones/UAVs on Saturday 12pm.

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:12 am

Lets hope things fair better in NZ VS. what's happening in Oregon, USA.

http://goo.gl/wuGrh
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby chossy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

kaptain_zero wrote:Lets hope things fair better in NZ VS. what's happening in Oregon, USA.

http://goo.gl/wuGrh

Jeez thats harsh but i expect it will happen everywhere soon all in the name of terrorism.
chossy

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

Jeez thats harsh but i expect it will happen everywhere soon all in the name of terrorism

People everywhere have to wake up to the fact that we get the government we deserve.
International super fascism is on the rise, those in power have totally stuffed up on the economy, and the banking system, the bankers interests and the governments are totally the same: to hang on to power and privilege
(and their stealing ways).
Every new law and restriction is to wear the population down so that they are used to being treated like cattle,
and grateful for the few privileges they retain.
Who allows them to appoint themselves our overlords we do, by apathy and doing nothing!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Winston » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 pm

These ideas seem reasonable to me. Comments?:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1400
Winston

Postby cynr100 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 am

Lots of new rules there, how about something simple like:
UAV to remain below 400AGL, no FAC below 500AGL
No UAV within 3 miles of controlled field except under NOTAM or field controller.
No UAV to be closer than 50yd of an occupiable structure higher than a single storey
Any UAV flying BVR (non-LOS) must be equiped with RTH and data logger
Any UAV equipped with camera(s) must be tagged with owners contact details.

That pretty much covers the them and us crowd (FACvUAV)
The privacy crowd, and......
The fun police can identify you.

For the anti pervert crowd I have installed my 808 cam onto a broom stick, I'll probably get arrested for being "armed in public" before I can press record.

Sorry if I sound to be belittling the situation but there are rules existing in my counbtry that can cover the apparent "dangerous and uncontrolled growth" of remotely controlled flying vehicles. For some reason they become life threatening when equipped with a camera, go figure. There are existing laws that can be used, let the courts decide if they can be applied, not a beaurocrat.
A classic example, driving whilst communicating on a mobile phone. Existing law, "driving without due care and attention" fine $1600 max. Now, because the people are getting hurt someone saw the need for a "targeted law" creating an "on the spot" fine $200. Which one do you think is more effective??
I'm with Bill.......
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Winston » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 pm

cynr100 wrote:Lots of new rules there, how about something simple like:
1. UAV to remain below 400AGL, no FAC below 500AGL
2. No UAV within 3 miles of controlled field except under NOTAM or field controller.
3. No UAV to be closer than 50yd of an occupiable structure higher than a single storey
4. Any UAV flying BVR (non-LOS) must be equiped with RTH and data logger
5. Any UAV equipped with camera(s) must be tagged with owners contact details.

Please don't use the term UAV or drone. They have negative connotations to the public. R/C model aircraft is the term to use.

Actually, I'd combine the RCGroups list of rules/ideas with yours. In some respects, such as assigned flight levels, the RCGroups list is designed after rules for manned aircraft. I like the assigned flight levels rather than your far too limiting 400AGL rule. One of your rules, #4, is mentioned in the RCGroups list, but is supplemented there by mention of an easily possible restricted airspace avoidance function during RTH (via GPS coordinate updates and onboard database for area). Add RCMR's collision avoidance system and it's perfect.

As the RCGroups post says, we need to be proactive. We need to compile a list of your suggestions, the RCGroups suggestions, etc., and self-regulate before the clueless legislators pass horrible, knee-jerk legislation.
Winston

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Things are defined by words we need a non threatening description of a model aeroplane flying development.
How about OFE
On-board flight experience r/c flying drop the uav rpv and drone.
Emphasise it's model plane flying not spying or flying a guided missile!
Talk about on board flight experience modelling etc.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 am

It is going to be a battle of words, doesn't matter what we choose to call them the media are going to use what creates attention.

I'm down at the club with my Remote Control Electric Foamie experiencing FPV :D when I inadvertently fly over someone's yard :shock: . That someone happens to be a news reporter :o
That nights' news.........................."Unmanned/pilotless aerial vehicles are spying on our neighbourhoods, who are they and why are they doing this, is it legal...............know your rights.............demand the laws be changed". Never let the truth get in the way fo a good story, they don't sell ad space.

Why aren't we targeting the media, they always get it wrong.

I happen to watch one of those morning news shows today, an item regarding the shooting death of a young girl lasted 30sec, an item regarding two obnoxious people on a reality cooking show lasted 6 min....... :roll:
I wonder if Bruce & Barry would be interested in a reality show, maybe "Come Fly/Spy with us", apparently what happens in a reality show is REAL :!: :!: , then we could use that show as a vehicle to get our true intentions across.
Just because I have a camera on a model plane does not make me a pervert, I drive a utility doesn't mean I want to carry stuff all the time, I have a p***s does that make me a r****t.......................end of my rant.

As usual Bill has come up with a pearler............OFE...... 8-) no previous connections with war, perverts or the media......even sounds good. I'm for it :D

I'm still getting my OFE gear together can anyone recommend a good OSD with GPS :?:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Winston » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

How about something really harmless sounding like BERC (Bird's Eye Radio Control)?
Winston

Next

Return to FPV