Using Zippy 2500 LiPo in Turnigy 9X

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Using Zippy 2500 LiPo in Turnigy 9X

Postby Wehutty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I just bought 2 Zippy 2500 LiPo's for use in my new Turnigy 9x radio because it seemed so hard on batteries. I was under the impression that these batteries would give you incredible usage times between charges. Today, I took the 9X out and flew about an hour total and my radio is already giving me the "low-battery beeps"? I'm charging these batteries using a LiPro Balance Charger and hopefully I'm doing it right. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong here or something?
Wehutty

Re: Using Zippy 2500 LiPo in Turnigy 9X

Postby cynr100 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Your not doing anything wrong, its the firmware of the 9X. The low voltage on the base firmware is 10v (I will stand corrected but it is close to that) and can not be adjusted. The hardware actually only needs 5v. I assume you are using 3s 11.1v, so in essence you only have 2v to play with before it starts screaming.

Investigate converting your 9x to run er9X firmware, a little money and some soldering is required. I have a FlySky TH9x (same as Turnigy 9x) that I havbe converted using a SmartieParts board (app $40) now I run er9x and my low voltage alarm is set at 9v. I get about 6 hours from a 1800maH 3s LiFe before having to charge. I have had this setup from about 9 months and have only charged the battery twice.

Here is the link for SmartieParts:

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... 97a9363ae7

Bruce also has a vid for DIY FrSky conversion, I was lazy and didn't trust my soldering ergo the Smartie board.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Wehutty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I think mine starts beeping as soon as it goes under 9 V. So you can still fly, you just have to listen to the constant beeping? Is there no way to turn it off?
Wehutty

Postby cynr100 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

With the stock firmware............?......not that I am aware of.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Radios and Servos