My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby jet760 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 am

Hi guys about the fuel gauge. Would a flow meter work? Something that would measure the true amount of fuel that has flowed througjht to the motor during running. you would just have to set in the dash board the amount of fuel the tank takes so once the flow starts the gauge starts with the amount being used. this would be more accurate as un level flight i.e 3d flight wouldnt affect it. Just a thought.
jet760

Postby RobC » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:39 pm

interesting ideas - don't you guys think complex! Bruce, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, LEDs or something similar. When flying IC, what you are concerned with is not the instant rate of consumption, but the moment when you hit the 90 seconds remaining point. LED pairs sounds good, but you would want some means of averaging the signal over, say, 10 seconds to stop the warning sounding through every roll, stall turn etc..
The problem with flow meters and similar is that they depend on the tank being filled consistently. The one day a vent twists and you take off with half a tank you will not know until you're deadstick - the whole point of the exercise being to avoid this. My Jungmeister glides like a brick, which is what inspired my question.
RobC

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 pm

I'll be updating the website with more info on the telemetry project shortly.

Here's a sneak preview... :o
Attachments
frskytelem5.jpg
frskytelem5.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 21625 times
frskytelem1.jpg
frskytelem1.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 21625 times
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jet760 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Fantastic!
I have been waiting to see this, I am looking forward to the video, and how to make one. Got me telemetry module this week, and cant wait to make something up
jet760

Postby jet760 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:41 pm

In regards to RSSI, what would 9.9 stand for, is that like 9.9 out of 10?
jet760

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:05 am

Yes, it's a scale from 0-10. I may alter that depending on how testing goes.
RCModelReviews

Postby RobC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:14 am

that's looking good Bruce. Will it involve much technical knowledge, or will it be a suitable DIY project for electronics numpties? For example, my electronics knowledge stopped developing around the time ICs came on the market, so programming PICs is akin to magic. COBOL, fine, VB, getting esoteric there, C - is that really a language?
RobC

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 am

I've designed it to be as simple to build as possible, using through-hole components wherever practical and I'll pre-program some microcontrollers for those who don't have the ability/equipment/desire to program their own.

Most of the work will be in writing the instructions for those who want to "give it a go" but have never had much experience with such things.

I also expect that if people want built-up systems, they'll be available from those who know what they're doing and are prepared to do a bit of soldering and wiring for other people.
RCModelReviews

Postby Evan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Hello

Where exactly could I buy the FrSky 2-way transmitter and receiver? Not much on Google or am I jumping the gun here?

Cheers and keep up the good work Bruce. Excellent website!
Evan

Postby vane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm

What do you think about making it overlay over a wireless camera? so we can have a ground based OSD display for FPV flying? It would be a bit cheaper than the commercially available units!!!
vane

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry