Rubber Powered Escapement Wanted

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Rubber Powered Escapement Wanted

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm waiting for a good day to get a few photos and a video of the gear working then I'll post it on the forum so you all can see what I'm up to. Phil Green in the UK has helped me a lot, and he has organised single channel competitions in England, that's his web site I mentioned in my previous post. If your'e interested have a look around has site.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 am

Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby iflylilplanes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am

Hi All,
With the help of Quarry44 Hans, I now have an escapement, a OS S2 throttle escapement. I will modify it into a sequential rudder escapement which will do for a while. I still need a compound escapement or a rudder only escapement?

Still need help please?
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am

Way to go Hans, this project has got my attention. Big thanks for helping Dave.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 pm

no problem,guys.It's better used than sitting in a drawer.No matter where in the world you are,modellers seem to help each other out,and I'm glad to have been able to do my bit:).
Although I have no intention of going back to bang-bang myself,I do find it interesting,so i'll be keeping an eye on developments too.
quarry44

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Horribly on reading all this I became overwhelmed by the urge to make an escapement, I couldn't help myself slowly a electro mechanical monster has evolved on my desk even now its gears are lashing and binding.
Attempting to provide both rudder and elevator control, and so far.........

Let it rain, who cares,
I've a plane upstairs,
With an escapement that I make
From some gears and a band
That twangs as it works
In jerks,
'Cos it drops in the spring,
Which stops
With the band
And the gears all stick
So quick
That it feels
Like a thing that you make
With a brake not a string
So that's what I make,
When the day's all wet
It's a good sort of escapement,
But it hasn't worked yet!

With apologies to AA Milne
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:07 pm

I remember my dad having a german made contraption,which was basically an "improved " escapement.It was powered by an electric motor,and had a sort of wheel on the side.This had 4 slotted arms,which could be used to control whatever surface.A detent stopped the wheel as required.The thing was quite heavy,so i have a feeling it was meant for boat use,which was what my dad bought it for.
At that time,ni-cads were available,but very expensive.Hence my dad relying on dry batteries.He never had any real success with this gear,probably also because of a lack of knowledge.Here is a broadly similar device on tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZJAgcRCEQ
Dad was a cabinet maker,and built beautiful boats,but the electronic side always gave him much grief.He graduated to the Futaba green single channel set with a relayless receiver.I still have the plastic case of it.Still didn't do dad much good tho.
Finally,he lashed out on the first Futaba propo 2channel set,and got a succesfully controlled boat.I seem to remember the servos were in a brick with the receiver.The wonder of it all!Batteries were still the biggest letdown,and i don't think this improved much until the button style ni-cads became more common,and thus cheaper.
We are SOOOOOOO spoiled these days.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:With apologies to AA Milne

I don't think he would mind Bill, very clever, sign of a :ugeek:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos