New Lipo 3 cell showing as 2 and another unbalanced

For model airplanes powered by volts rather than fuel

New Lipo 3 cell showing as 2 and another unbalanced

Postby Jimbo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 pm

New to this hobby. Just received all the bits I need to build a AXN in line with the Bruce build list of materials. Ordered 3 Turnigy 2.2 3 cell batteries. One seems fine. Another only shows as having 2 cells by my IMAX B8+ charger and Turnigy auto cell checker. The third battery on checking the voltage showed 3.82, 3.84 and 3.71. have put it through storage charge and it finished on 3.84, 3.83, and 3. 79. Thought they should be no more than .01 different. Have tried to balance using the auto checker but not really achieving anything closer. Any ones knowledgeable thoughts would be appreciated.
Jimbo

Re: New Lipo 3 cell showing as 2 and another unbalanced

Postby cynr100 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 am

If you purchased the batteries from Hobby King submit a warranty claim through the website. Make sure you have photos of the warranty label on the battery (its the barcode label with "warranty" above it). Also include in the same frame shot all cabling with battery attached to the charger/checker with enough detail to read the display.
I have had 2 of these in the last year and had no issue with obtaining "credit" refund, just make sure your photos are honest and include all they ask for.
Do it ASAP so that you can get your credit to purchase replacements, you wear the freight unfortunately :evil:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Jimbo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Thankyou cynr that's what I will do. I assume the unbalanced one also is no good. Pretty poor only 1 out of 3 good. The more I read about these batteries the more concerned I am to have them around me.
Jimbo

Postby carlossp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 pm

I have one of this battery that showed as 2S through the balance terminal and as 3S through the discharge terminal. I changed the balance terminal and now everything is ok with the battery.
carlossp

Postby quarry44 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't know if it would apply to a brand new charger,but I suppose it could be faulty.My Imax B6 won't charge some batteries unless the balance plug is connected,yet at other times the opposite only works,e.g.it won't charge with the balance plug in.It has also shown inconsistent charge rates.I've gone off the Imax line,I'm getting an Icharger.
Yet the cheap Turnigy 70w job has always performed faultlessly.
quarry44

Return to Electric power