HELP BATTERIES AREN'T BALANCING

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

HELP BATTERIES AREN'T BALANCING

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:56 am

Oh the frustration, after all of my old batteries gave way due to witnessing too many crashes I decided to buy a new set. Originally I used 2 zippys and had no problems with them until I crashed them to death. On my second order of batteries I got some turnigy's instead because they looked a little bit nicer, I had no complaints with the turnigy's at that time. Now for whats happened to me, this time around I've bravely bought 6 turnigy 2200 mah 3S batteries seeming I go through them so fast - 4 of them from the international warehouse, the other 2 from the aus warehouse. So after charging the batteries I realised they aren't balancing, so then I tried the other batteries - still no luck. After painfully trying multiple times to get any of the 6 batteries to charge and balance I finally gave up. So I want to know if anyone has some ideas on what it could be and what I should do?

** SPECS **

Charger: Turnigy accucel 6

Battery balance info:

**BATT number** cell 1 ** cell 2 ** cell 3 **
** BATT 1 ** 4.17 ** 4.20 ** 4.15 **
** BATT 2 ** 4.20 ** 4.20 ** 4.11 **
** BATT 3 ** 4.19 ** 4.20 ** 3.86 **
** BATT 4 ** 4.19 ** 4.20 ** 4.06 **
** BATT 5 ** 4.19 ** 4.20 ** 4.18 **
** BATT 6 ** 4.20 ** 4.19 ** 4.14 **

Is it safe to fly on any of these batteries? Is it worth returning them to HobbyKing? Could the charging be broken?
Note: battery 5 might still balance, I'll try a little harder to get it charged.

Thanks, Bio Hazzard
Bio Hazzard

Re: HELP BATTERIES AREN'T BALANCING

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 am

Note there's a pattern to the charging: cell three is down on all the batteries I would suspect the charger.
Try measuring the actual cell voltages on the balance lead with a multimeter, be careful don't short them!!
It's safe to fly on them you need to make sure you don't run them down to far, measure the voltages after a flight and see that the lowest cell is still above it's safe discharge value.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:01 am

#3 definitely has an issue #4 maybe, my (1)Zippy 2200 and (1)Turnigy 2200 operate within +/-0.1v as I understand it this is acceptable. Apart from #3 & #4 your worst is 0.09v.
Have you tried using the Accucell to load a "storage charge" to your batteries , 3.7v +/- 0.1v is considered normal. Let them rest for a day then apply full charge.
An essential part of your kit with Li-Po's is one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rch=hk-010
I always use the balance function on this after each charge, it is generally finished with 2-3 minutes.

I fear that Bill is on the right track, just be carefull with the multimeter.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Used multimeter to check cell voltages through balance port as bill suggested, unfortunately its showing the same voltage as the charger is. Also normally I fly with a beeper alarm with a lvc function, atm I don't have mine so I'm using my dx6is timer in the mean while.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 am

You should also be able to program your ESC for voltage cutoff (low, medium,high). All my ESC's are set for medium which gives control and a slowing throttle, the battery finishing with avg 3.8v per cell. I would never use low, this gives a hard cutoff to the throttle and most times no Tx/Rx control and leaves the cells with 3.0-.1v,below long life level.
Constantly discharging the Li-po's to 100% generates heat and shortens the life of the cells.
If you haven't grab, yourself a programing card for your brand of ESC. Most of them are a pinch of p*ss to operate and beats dicking around with thebeep beep method.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 am

Ok, I'm trying discharging to a storage charge then retrying balancing atm. For the mean while I'm going to keep flights to a 4 minute limit seeming I mostly fly at 100% throttle as we all do. When I get my lvc alarm back I'll use that instead. Also I had a *bump* with a tree a couple days ago, I think battery #3 might have been the one that banged into the tree and got damaged a bit more - it wasn't balancing new either though. At the moment I'm being very very cautious with my lipos, my last AXN was lost due to a lipo explosion after landing it at a 90º angle :P, now whenever I fly or charge my batteries I carry a small $20 extinguisher around with me! It was really painful though seeing a perfectly good AXN ever so slowly burn into a crisp, I know I could've saved it if I had that extinguisher :cry: Oh well can't keep playing the "what if" game.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am

Bio Hazzard wrote:For the mean while I'm going to keep flights to a 4 minute limit seeming I mostly fly at 100% throttle as we all do.

Hmmmmmm..... :lol: :idea: Hey Bio you might try gliding for a bit, power to height then glide down, doing what you want to do :lol: , gives your ESC and battery a rest. You might try 50% throttle with a 6x4e prop, that's good for 10-15min of just tooling around. I get 4-5 flights of about 10 minutes and only use about 40% batt and that includes rolls, loops etc (yep I'm getting really game now), the only reason I land is to have a rest :lol:If you are looking for something with constant speed and fun to fly try the SkyFun delta from HK. I get about 5min from a 2200maH on a 25ampESC, a 3500kv motor running a 5x5e prop. Again I use "medium" voltage cutoff and nothing is worse than warm on landing.
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:44 am

I thought I had ordered a 6x4e prop but it was a 6x5e instead so for mean while switching back to stock prop. Oh and everyone tells me I fly to fast and should slow down every once and a while :lol: I guess inverted flying a meter from the ground at full throttle never gets old, that's what I love about the AXN it gives you those flights that really make you grip hard on your radio when you push the damm thing ;)
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 am

Bio Hazzard wrote: I guess inverted flying a meter from the ground at full throttle never gets old

Love to be at your field to watch you fly :o :lol: :lol: , got any vids to share :?:
The 6x5 is burning up your batteries.
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:09 am

I only have 808 camera footage, but my new AXN seems to not be performing well. So I'm a bit hesitant to push it atm. Plus I'm learning the ins & outs of my new flying field.
Bio Hazzard

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)