AXN rebuilds

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

AXN rebuilds

Postby drg964 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 am

cynr100 and myself were comparing our AXNs the other day especially in regards to how 'munted' the front gets after so many hard landings (ie nose first).

While cynr100 went with his version of how a plastic surgeon would rebuild his AXN I took a more Frankenstein approach with lots of popsicle sticks and hot glue.

As you can see I carved out the top of the 'ribs' in the cockpit area in order to allow the stick to bind that area. There is another stick that was placed just under this one that goes back into the fuselage with the cross over of the sticks greatly assisting in keeping the front stable. I put 2 sticks on the bottom of the cockpit area in order to stiffen up the bottom of the front which had become quite sloppy.

And if you want to watch the waistline rather than suck on numerous popsicles you can sourced the sticks from Spotlight in their crafts section (NZ and Aus only)
You can call me Al
drg964

Re: AXN rebuilds

Postby cynr100 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 pm

Okay, the challenge is on, my "plastic surgery" against your "frankenstein". Can't help myself,.........I will be there Saturday :D

In his earlier rebuilds Hallmark used tongue depressers (nurse wifey) so would that make his a "Plaskenstein".

With all these ideas to improve the crash resistance of our AXNs 8-) , I can't but help think that it would be easier to learn how to fly :lol: :lol:

My broken AXN wing is repaired so she is ready to go and I had to replace aileron servos on the Dragon Wing, one servo was nackered this caused the crash and wing damage. The Dragon Wings are not that crash resistant I have had to c/fibre the main and tail wing, it really is way too fragile for a learner.

I should also mention that the AXN nose was crushed..............again (I have to improve my landing skills especially the last one for the day :shock: :lol: ). So to the repair, this time instead of removing the tape, I left it all on. Dropped the nose into the "hot water repair tank" and apart from one piece of tape replaced it was all good. So I suggest that unless you have fractures to repair leave any tape in place.

:D :D :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby drg964 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:33 pm

cynr100 wrote:I will be there Saturday :D

Let us see who can stay 'up' the longest :twisted:
You can call me Al
drg964

Postby cynr100 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 am

drg964 wrote:Let us see who can stay 'up' the longest :twisted:

:shock:
Could you rephrase that............ :oops:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby disq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Popsicle sticks and hot glue really do great job on repairs :)

Also the AXN very easy to repair. I even broke off the tail (on my first ever r/c flight, so that was expected) and glued it back on with hot glue, and added 150x4 solid carbon rods for support. Three of them, one for each side. Granted I didn't crash it that hard again (yet?) but it holds beautifully. Also something solid for the hstab is essential, otherwise the foam will warp during high-G maneuvers. At least it did on mine, while I was in the process of crashing the AXN. I'm not sure if the three-part-bbq-skewer solution will work, but since then I got my carbon strips finally delivered from HK. Just in case.

After these last popsicle-stick-on-the-nose repairs, I noticed that the plastic canopy cover is a little big for the fuselage itself :roll:

disq

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 am

Some great fixes there Disq, don't worry about the canopy not fitting. Rather than using a rubber band now you will need to tape it down, one piece wrap around :D will hold it in place and some support for the next nose dive.
When you finally destroy the AXN you will find a strengthen tube in the tail, why they never extended it to the fuselage :?: :?:
Just keep an eye on your servo mounts after so much damage to the front, make sure they do not more around in their mounts.
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 pm

I was at the park a while back and I saw another guy with an AXN, he had cut out a flat piece of carbon fiber to have the exact top shape to the servos in the nose. The plate had two holes one for each servo, so the idea was the servos became "fastened" together helping make the nose way stronger. If I every get some carbon fiber sheets I'm a meet me one, coz we all know the AXN's weak spot is up front! :lol:
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm

coz we all know the AXN's weak spot is up front! :lol:

Comme Cyrano de Bergerac n'est-il pas
BigNose.jpeg
BigNose.jpeg (986 Bytes) Viewed 19030 times
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby disq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm

cynr100 wrote:Some great fixes there Disq, don't worry about the canopy not fitting. Rather than using a rubber band now you will need to tape it down, one piece wrap around :D will hold it in place and some support for the next nose dive.
When you finally destroy the AXN you will find a strengthen tube in the tail, why they never extended it to the fuselage :?: :?:
Just keep an eye on your servo mounts after so much damage to the front, make sure they do not more around in their mounts.

Canopy+rubberband still works for me, at least for now. Of course I use two rubberbands.

Yeah, The tail broke off just where the hollow tube ends actually :) I could see the tube where it broke off.

About the servo mounts, well, my first attempt to un-glue to servos left me with little mounts. So I'm using even more hotglue to hold the servos now.

Cutting a plywood plate as a servo mount could be smart. Maybe even make it in an inverse U shape. It could limit the ESC-space a bit though. I was about to suggest fitting there a box with 4 sides, but the bottom of the fuselage is tapered so a box wouldn't fit nicely, also getting it inside would be very hard and fiddly which nobody likes. (If it was possible, it would've made a hell of a support for the mid-section of the fuse... but don't you think any support effort should focus on the immediate nose where the battery lies?)
disq

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I have used all sorts of strange methods to "improve" the strength of the nose section. I spent so much time doing that I did not "improve" my flying skills.
Improving the nose strength is only going to transfer the impact energy to the next weak point, which is in front of the wing root. I had so much tape, sticks and PET plastic on one AXN that it was double its' weight, I'm on my 3rd now and have minimal taped areas. The nose is a little bent and cracked, this gets fixed with hot water and a small amount of hot glue, the rest of the plane is being protected by my increasingly improved flying skills...........?
I have a small block of crushable foam up the nose to protect the battery, this has also served to absorb some of the impact energy.
When the side walls became weak and the servos would not sit correctly (because the mounts by this time had disappeared) I cable tied them to the fuselage wall, they where still in place and stable after its' death dive.
cynr100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)