Art-Tech E-Fly 4ch radio reduced resolution

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Art-Tech E-Fly 4ch radio reduced resolution

Postby disq » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

My cheap E-Fy 4channel radio (4BII - ETB62, the one that comes with RTF "products") started behaving badly.

It had the glitching-servo problem for a while, but now the resolution is significantly reduced, to the point that the radio is useless now. For instance, rudder stopped working in one direction. When I connect it to the PC and check the gamepad calibration screen, neutral rudder sits at "54", full-right drops that to "52" (should be 0?) and full-left makes it 74. (Should be 100?)

Similar problems with the elevator and ailerons, they are a bit better though. Throttle seems unaffected, at least the resolution drop -if exists- is not very noticable on the calibration screen.

I tried opening it up and cleaning the board with an old toothbrush and isoprophyl alcohol, didn't work. While I'm at it, I tried shorting the rudder pot, while connected to the PC, the range didn't improve (52-54-74, still) so I'm thinking the pots are fine and the problem is with the PIC, firmware (calibration gone?), or some failed passive element near the PIC. I checked the dip-switches and pot-to-board cable connections with the multimeter and they all checked out.

This all started with the radio getting in a weird state, with blinking led and no response. I managed to fix it by toggling the dip-switches while it was on, and then this problem.

So, any ideas?

My brand new 9x is still in the mail, I've been waiting for 2 weeks now (without logging any "flight hours", even in the sim :( ) and it will probably take another week to get here. But, if I could salvage this radio, maybe I could pass it on to someone to start them in the hobby. It was a gift to me, afterall.

Here's a picture of the board, click to enlarge. Don't mind the scuff marks, turned out they were flux, cleaned right up with the isopropanol.

Image Image
disq

Re: Art-Tech E-Fly 4ch radio reduced resolution

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Try asking them what's wrong on their website they may tell you how to reset the processor, which is probably what's required.
http://www.efly-hobby.com/en/guest.asp
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby disq » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Try asking them what's wrong on their website they may tell you how to reset the processor, which is probably what's required.
http://www.efly-hobby.com/en/guest.asp

I've been trying them at info@art-tech.cn with no response so far... Thanks for the url, message sent! :)
disq

Postby disq » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm

So, I got a reply from the e-mail I sent to Art-tech.

Turns out dip switch #5 at the back was for calibration. You switch it on, turn the radio on, wiggle the sticks a few times, switch it off (without turning the tx off -- but since the dip switches are located under the battery compartment you have to either relocate one of the batteries or just open the case for this) and you're done.
disq

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Well that goes to show it never hurts to ask!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:55 pm

You have to love this forum................ it makes you feel all gooey inside when something works out :D :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Radios and Servos