Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Prevew: Turnigy 9X version 2

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 am

DagKS wrote:In your review you wrote:

"Despite its FHSS technology and feature-set, this radio (with the standard module/receiver) is not recommended for large or fast models however. The lack of failsafe sees to that. "

Coudn't you just use a GWS fail safe?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4283

You could -- but if you wanted failsafe on all channels (so you can cause your fast/large model to snap into a spin and wash off most of its speed/energy if hit by interference) you'll be paying 4 x $15 = $60, plus the $10 for the receiver which makes it a *very* expensive option (a total of $70).

Even if you simply want to cut the throttle on your gaser, glow-engine or jet it makes for a $25 setup so why not just by something far more capable (with a full built-in failsafe) such as FrSky, FlyDream or whatever?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jonlowe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:48 pm

After my V2 8 channel receiver got fuel soaked, and I removed the hot glue to get it really cleaned up, I noticed two things. First was a solder blob that was wedged between two lands at where the terminal strip connects to the main board. The receiver was working ok, but this was a disaster waiting to happen. Cleaned it out with a hobby knife. I will be opening up new receivers after this to check things out.

Second was an unpopulated connector location on the main board to add a satellite receiver. I wonder if a V1 receiver satellite would work? Don't know if the hopping is decoded in the remote receiver, or in the main unit.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 pm

I also noted the unpopulated satellite connector -- but it almost certainly would not work if you attached a satellite because the firmware in the satellite (which is a complete receiver without decoder) would not be aware that it should be hopping.
RCModelReviews

Postby Viper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm

aussiepage wrote:Hi,

Have just received Turnigy 9X version 2 and can confirm that the PPM signals are not transmitted out of the trainer port while module is plugged in.
Investigated and confirm that in trainer mode (cord plugged in with power switch off) no power is supplied to the transmitter module (good) BUT the PPM signal to the module is still driven (bad). This probably loads the PPM signal and signal levels are too low for logic driving PPM signal to trainer port.

I will look at fix and post. Possibly relay to isolate PPM signal from the module when module is not powered.

Obviously removing module with internal antenna soldered in place is an issue.

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue with the trainer port. However, I can use it with Phoenix, if I get the V2 2.4G module out from the back, before plugging in the trainer cord ( transmitter switched off all time ). Has anyone manage to get a "proper" fix?

One more question: does it worth changing the V2 module with a Corona 2.4 ( V2 DSSS )?
Viper

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:12 am

Viper wrote:One more question: does it worth changing the V2 module with a Corona 2.4 ( V2 DSSS )?

I'll let you know when I've had a chance to range/flight test the V2 RF system -- planned for this weekend, the weather forecast is for clear skies and light winds (Fingers crossed)
RCModelReviews

Postby jonlowe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I also noted the unpopulated satellite connector -- but it almost certainly would not work if you attached a satellite because the firmware in the satellite (which is a complete receiver without decoder) would not be aware that it should be hopping.

Bruce,
I ordered 3 of the HobbyKing HK-TR6A V2 6 channel receivers which work with the Turnigy V2 FHSS transmitter. One (!) of them came with a populated satellite receiver connector. I tried plugging in a V1 satellite receiver for giggles, and the red light did not even come on on the satellite for binding. Just thought you'd be interested. All three bound with the V2 transmitter just fine, and work ok on the bench.

Jon
jonlowe

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

I think this shows the level of disarray at the FlySky factory :-)

Perhaps they made a run and forgot that the satellite port was no longer being used.

Or perhaps they have reflashed some of the DSSS systems to operate as FHSS ones.

Who knows? Probably not even FlySky :-(
RCModelReviews

Postby Bryce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:06 pm

RaWe wrote:What I'm really trying to find out is,..that among all the variations of this radio, is there one that requires mininum or no hacking (for NOOBs like me :roll: ) to be used with good quality products like Frsky, Assan or equivalent.

Hi,

I bought an Eurgle V3, and it still has the detachable module and the FM antenna, just like a Turnigy 9X V1.
But it also benefits from the upgrades of the Turnigy V2: bugs corrected in the software, changes on the PCB.
Bryce

Postby mcmatrix » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Bryce wrote:
RaWe wrote:What I'm really trying to find out is,..that among all the variations of this radio, is there one that requires mininum or no hacking (for NOOBs like me :roll: ) to be used with good quality products like Frsky, Assan or equivalent.

Hi,

I bought an Eurgle V3, and it still has the detachable module and the FM antenna, just like a Turnigy 9X V1.
But it also benefits from the upgrades of the Turnigy V2: bugs corrected in the software, changes on the PCB.

This V3 software is very interesting.
Are you able to get firmware from TX?
I'd like to compare this V3 with turnigy V2 software.
If this is really newer version then i'd like to update also my V2 TX :)
mcmatrix

Postby Bryce » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi,
I don't know if there are any differences between the Eurgle V3 software and the Turnigy V2.
I haven't yet modded my tx to connect a programmer, so I can't get the software.
I may do it soon, maybe in one week.
Bryce

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers