9x v2 receiver antenna replacement

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

9x v2 receiver antenna replacement

Postby Frazzy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 am

Hi all,

I'm going to buy a carbon DLG. I need to get my 2.4 ghz antenna out of the fuselage. This is near impossible with the standard antenna. Can I replace the standard antenna for a wire like all other receivers from other brands?

Thanks,

Frans
Frazzy

Re: 9x v2 receiver antenna replacement

Postby Frazzy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm

While I'm at it. Is it possible to mount twoo antenna's on the same positive connection?
Frazzy

Postby iflylilplanes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 pm

This is what I know from a friend heavy into FPV, No, you can not add a second antenna, and yes you can make a wire (I'm not sure of the spelling) dipoll antenna. The standard antenna is a tubular dipoll. The mod is you will need a short length of 0.5 mm copper wire, after you remove the old antenna expose around 32 mm of the inner plastic coated core and don't cut off the the shielding, now the .5 mm copper wire needs to be looped (just a 1 mm end) around the base of the shielding and soldered in place , what you have now will look like an L on the end of the cable with the excess shielding coming out of the solder joint, remove the excess shielding and bend the plastic coated core 90 degrees so it is in line with the copper wire, the plastic coated core needs to be trimmed to 29.5 mm in length (no more, no less) then trim the copper wire to 29.5 mm or an over all length both core and copper to 59 mm. What you now have looks like a T shape, you can strengthen the solder joint with a little hot glue...... Don't take me as 100% correct, my FPV mate tunes these antennas with a nail file board to remove the end of the copper wire taking off a few thou at a time, but he has a lot of electronic test equipment to test with, but he's after max distance

Others in this forum may know if I have made a mistake or two in my description. Good luck.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby Frazzy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi iflylilplanes,

Can you or you'r friend make a drawing of what he did? It's a bit hard to get it from the words only.

Thanks,

Frans
Frazzy

Postby iflylilplanes » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 am

Sorry I could not get back before now, here is a link to a RCGroups thread on the build of a dipole antenna, it's by my club mate I mentioned. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=128
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks