Same/different Equal? Trainer Airframe

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Same/different Equal? Trainer Airframe

Postby SquireM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm

I've been in the hobby for about 4 years, but still consider myself a Newbie. I've mostly been flying a V.1 Easystar that is now more glue than foam. A friend wants to get into RC with an eye on FPV and asked for a plane recommendation. I initially recommended the Bixler because it's just like the Easystar but comes with ailerons and is a lot cheaper. He did some research and came up with a long list of very similar planes.
Easystar
Bixler
Bixler 2
Skysurfer
Super Skysurfer
Penguin
Raptor
Floater
Easyfly
Skywalker
Mini Skywalker
EPP-FPV (from Hobby King)
There are more, but I'll stop there.
As these are all basically the same airframe type, the differences are in size, cost and, I assume, quality.
Which would you choose and why? Which would you avoid and why?
Thanks
SquireM

Re: Same/different Equal? Trainer Airframe

Postby Malcurin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Id choose a Bixler 2 because of the features you can get over the others, flaps and you can use fpv stuff with it plus it glides nice and slow for beginners to use you can now also get landing gear for it to learn landings, over all its a nice airframe
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby cynr100 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm about to order a Bixler kit, I have been flying the AXN now for 12 months (#3 is still in one piece). I want to try something slightly different before I get into my Penguin which is a substantially larger aircraft.
My advice, start with a Bix or AXN or both, kits can be had for a small outlay. If you are learning you don't want to see your money destroyed everytime you have a go. Once you have achieved reasonable control ability and your craft is surviving each outing then move on. If you are going the FPV route you could have $1000 invested in the setup, you don't want to see that destroyed through lack of skill.
Small and patient steps.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby SquireM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 am

The Bixler 2 has a wingspan only 10cm longer than the Bixler 1. I'm wondering how much difference that really makes. Also, and this is for me, not my friend, Bixler 2 over the Penguin or the Super Skysurfer?
SquireM

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:59 am

The B2 has flaps, where the B1 does not. There are 4 of them at my field and none of them use the flaps in anger, they're more of an "extra" than a requirement.
Picking the right FPV vehicle will mostly depend on the type of FPVing you plan LOS (line of sight), BVR (beyond visual range)
or LR (long range >2km etc). Each type requires an increase in equipment which means space and weight.
There are many successfull FPVer's using the AXN, I have also seen a HK Dragon Wing (light weight 3ch trainer) set up for FPV.
I am bias towards the Penguin, I have one in the middle of it's build waiting for me to gain more experience. The load bay on this bird is cavernous.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby GRM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 am

Hi,

An experienced member of my RC club has an FPV Raptor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18764__FPVRaptor_Composite_1600mm_PNF_.html and claims it is the most stable plane he's flown. So it'd be good for a beginner. It is very easy to build (no glue required), and is specifically designed to hold lots of FPV gear as well as being super stable.

Having had a Bixler and an AXN, IMHO the AXN is a lot more fun to fly - but FPV gear would alll need to be mounted externally on an AXN.

GRM
GRM

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)