Raising the stakes, long range idea.

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Raising the stakes, long range idea.

Postby Crowstooth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Well, it's starting to look unrealistic unless I can get a model airship or one of those helium sharks (Kieth just suggested that as I write).
It might be possible to get a thinner shielded cable to save some weight. I agree the cable will be most of the weight as I'm only planning to hoist the antenna, the receiver will be at ground level.
I can't access the previous posts while I write but my thanks to the person who gave me the chemistry info, I believe his name is Bill.
But, flag pole or balloon, I'd really like to know if I can use an extension lead for my radio Tx antenna, I'm sure that would help improve the range. Anyone know if this would work?

John.

Location London.
Crowstooth

Postby cynr100 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 pm

John,
Have you thought about a Scherrer LRS UHF system, not a cheap item.
Bills recommend of https://www.lifebreeze.co.uk/shop.php?pg=item&id=123 (well not quite the same as Bills but close) would appear a cheap and easy place to start.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Crowstooth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I can't afford to get into UHF, according to Bruce the only reasonably safe one is Dragonlink and that's outside my price range for now.
I'm not really ready for long range just yet, the whole balloon thing just seemed like a fun thing to try.
I would like to hear from someone knowledgeable on whether an extension lead would work with my Transmitter antenna. I think that would be worth knowing whether I go the pole route or the blimp.

John.
Crowstooth

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Thinking about it, the solution fitting in with the ethos of what you want to do could well be a stable kite, a reasonably sized one could fairly easily lift the payload required, and you only need to hoist the receiver part the way up the "string" the kite could fly higher in stronger more stable wind.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Crowstooth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm

The kite idea is a real possibility considering the wind is usually much stronger at altitude and it could fly at 100's of feet. I have a box kite I made some time ago and never flew.
I do like the idea of a blimp though. I thought if the plan worked I'd try to make a balloon shaped like the anti aircraft blimp used during WW2. But that is looking less likely now that all that chemistry has entered the picture.

John.
Crowstooth

Previous

Return to FPV