Yep another noob wanting a AXN floater

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Yep another noob wanting a AXN floater

Postby rocketnz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Is there anywhere else to get the tx battery pack for the turnigy 9xr? out of stock in AUS on HK and ordering it internationally goes over the package limit and bumps it up another 30$ for 100 grams. bit of a joke really.

alternatives? i've alraedy placed my AUS HK order and trying to order the 9xr and frsky module from hongkong HK.

why is nothing ever in stock in AUS and you cant back order it either, pain in the dam arse.
rocketnz

Postby rocketnz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 am

Well i just made the complete order comes to $340AU

far from the under $200 NZ dollars Bruce is quoted to say it costs to get a axn in the air in his reviews on youtube. that would be about $400NZD
rocketnz

Postby cynr100 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:38 am

rocketnz wrote:why is nothing ever in stock in AUS and you cant back order it either, pain in the dam arse.

Patience Grasshopper.............. :lol: This situation is on going, remember they are a privately owned company, jumping up and down is not going to make any difference. Now, telling them you got it somewhere else and quicker, that can make a difference (and also cost you more).

Anyway, on to the 9Xr, if you are handy with a soldering iron (you really need to be for this hobby) you don't need the "listed" battery pack, try this one (cheaper and LiFePO4 :D, I don't care how much "protection" it has I'm not putting a Li-Po in my Tx )
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _Pack.html
and, it's in stock.
Just swap out the connectors to suit, making sure you get the polarity right, and you probably wont notice much difference between 1800 and 2200mAh on a 1.5C pack.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby rocketnz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:24 am

Wow so axn arrives tomorrow, then the rx / tx arrives some time after that from HongKong. Got a few questions i hope someone can answer.

What simulator does everyone use?

Will i be able to use the turnigy 9xr with a PC sim? does it come with cable?

How much experience do i need to have, what do i need to be able to do before i can try a basic FPV flight do you think? i might be putting the cart before the horse here.

I take it i should be clocking up alot of time on the simulator before trying anything.

Wondering how big the park has to be to host my first AXN flight? Football field / cricket pitch, how big is big enough for this boz-zo! ha ha.
rocketnz

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 pm

The 9Xr works with Phoenix FS and its' dongle.

Sims are good but nothing beats assistance from an experienced flyer, there is no reset button to start again in the field. If you go it alone on your first flight no field is big enough.
I'm on my 3rd AXN, the first 2 were eventually destroyed by "going it alone", now I am having a lot more fun by flying with experienced pilots. I have also modded the AXN for sloping, more on that at a later time.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby rocketnz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I'm hearing you!

Wish there was a close club in eastern suburbs sydney. yell out if anyone is in the hood. im in north bondi
rocketnz

Postby rocketnz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 pm

Well the AXN, servos, ESC, batteries and charger turned up today, now just waiting on radio gear and few build items.
rocketnz

Postby rocketnz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 am

Ok got my last package, very fast from hobbycity, took just 8 days tyo get my order from hong kong.

just popped down to jaycar and got my JST adapter to charge the 9xr lipo. so will complete the build tonight! Have also ordered a JR Sim cable to practice before I risk it all in the wind.

Bit uncertain about the throw i should be giving the axn as obviously you can adjust it at both ends. I'm thinking you can adjust the throw from the tx as well?
rocketnz

Postby rocketnz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 am

Well its all built.

just need to need the manual on the 9xr i believe you can set the aileron throw speed etc so will check this out. Might maiden it this weekend. More then likely we'll see a crash but hopefully after a bit of simulator use, we may be OK.
rocketnz

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 am

When you say "throw speed" you are probably talking about expo or exponential, find this on your 9xr and set to 70 for all except throttle. You will be required to set this for left rudder and right rudder as well as left and right aileron individually. When you have found the page and made the adjustment for say rudder, move the stick to both extremes whilst watching the screen, you will see what I mean.
Adding expo allows larger stick movements for smaller control surface movements, it all depends on how "touchy" you want the controls.
Being your first time I would set expo as mentioned, make sure that the control rods are mounted at the midpoints on the control horns and program in 70-80% throws (this is also known as "end point adjustment") on the expo page. Make no settings for expo or throws on the throttle, move the Tx trim for the throttle to its' lowest point.
Experiment with these settings on the ground and watch what the control surfaces do. Make as many trim requirements as you can mechanically, ergo adjust with the control rods. Leave any Tx trim until you are in the air, you may need every bit of Tx trim to save the AXN.
If you don't have anyone to help do a couple of glide throws into long grass, after all the AXN is a glider. This will give an indication of any unwanted movements that can be trimmed out before you do a power launch.
Watch this, if you haven't already done so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GnDRrOEM7Q
Good luck.
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)