FPV bixler 2

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

FPV bixler 2

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 am

Building my FPV bixler 2 as we speak. Setting it up on a 200mw 5.8Ghz, aiming for BVR flight. Might even be able to push it as far as 8 - 10km once setup is improved that is.

Image Image
Image Image

[SPECS]

Video downlink: 5.8Ghz 200mw from HK
Antenna: cloverleaf antenna from bevrc
OSD: Cyclops Storm OSD from bevrc
ESC: 60A hobbyking blue esc w 4A bec
Motor: NTM 1800kv 28-36
Prop: stock 7x5e
Battery: 2200mah (soon to be bigger)
Servos: HKSCM9 from hobbyking

PS: Is AXN glue appropriate for glueing sides together? Also having that clear cover on the cockpit over the camera shouldn't be problematic? - (I've tested and don't think so but just want to be sure)
Bio Hazzard

Re: FPV bixler 2

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 am

Wow Bio you're really packing it in.....I'm jealous :lol:

Just 2 things to comment on and not from experience, just picked up from around.
Paint the canopy floor in a matt black, should reduce internal glare/ghosting from the canopy.
Don't rely entirely on the ESC, install separate BEC and power supply for your FPV gear, I'm planning a 3s 1000maH for my penguin FPV gear and might even consider a 3s 1800maH to run everything except the motor. That way if I loose the motor,ESC or main battery I can still have a controlled crash and be able to find the wreck :lol: :lol: jokes aside it is a little redundancy protection.
Having said all that, is the motor providing enough thrust for the extra weight, had a young guy in our group did the same thing (Bixler 2), couldn't get it up using the standard power train & prop. Can't advise you on an upgrade but recommend you check it out.
:D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:44 am

cynr100 wrote:Wow Bio you're really packing it in

Once glued a lot of components like the RX won't be accessible coz its that tight :lol: will cut access holes if needed.

Nice tip for the canopy will definitely do only worry is I don't want to bake the camera in there with all that black. I attempted testing the motor using the watt meter you'd suggested I buy, but at half throttle the pull was so strong I couldn't hold it down.... it threw all my papers of my work bench and even threw the battery off from the ESC and onto the floor abruptly stopping any further testing :lol: So I think theres not gonna be a problem with power. Also the really cool thing about using an OSD is that it has the circuitry on-board to fully power all the fpv gear so its 100% independent of the ESC and the OSD draws power from its metering device hooked up to the battery. Anyway after I mod my ESC with a 1N4001 diode to drop voltage to keep the servos safe I think I'll be glueing the plane together. It'll be either today or tomorrow I madian the plane.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Can't wait for the vid Bio, good luck.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 am

Maidened it yesterday, unfortunately I didn't get past LOS testing :( After a couple of attempts I finally got it off the ground, I felt like I had no control. After the first bank on the straight ahead the wings folded due to the rubber band system I had made from this video gave way (the rubber band didn't break, just stretched too far and wings slipped out) :cry:

I had almost spent 5 months building up my bixler just waiting for parts and RMA's, but all in all the plane will be reglued and will be flown again because
whenever I get knocked down I just get up again! :D
And that's a mentality everyone should have!
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 am

Sorry to see that Bio, but after seeing your flight vids I have no doubt it will be in the air again soon.

Just a thought on your repair, I have been introduced to this tape by another novice. a true fibre glass adhesive tape
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... pes/ST8024
better than anything from Bunnings and cheap. Made the mistake of trying to tear by hand, bad move now I have tape burn :lol: :lol:

Also on the rubberband issue, have a look at how the HK YAK55 3D uses bands to hold the wings in. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html
Mine is still in its box, if you like I can do a dry construct and post a pic. The rubber bands go from wing to wing through the fuselage.
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 am

Yeah my rubber bands go straight through the fuse through a pen from this vid But it'll be atleast 3 weeks till I fly again as I'm ordering new wings & other parts form hobbyking int. warehouse. But its better I take my time then rush it, also I haven't tried officework tape yet I just use "tuff tape" from bunnings and the standard fiberglass tape from hobbyking.
Last edited by Bio Hazzard on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:54 am

What happened to the wing spar?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

I was very smart about the wing spar, and reinforced it with a 4mm cf rod as advised by many others. But as the little white foam strips weren't fully glued in (I only put little dabs of glue along it incase I need to replace a servo) they ended up giving way and popped out then the wings folded. At least the wings kinda broke the plans speed and minimized damage. It looks like the video transmitter isn't working either (red like comes on but no signal and gets very warm) so I've order a new vtx and set of wings from intl.
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Right, if you want to change servo a better way is to use long extensions in the wing and glue the whole wing solidly with the extension plug easily accessible .
Changing the servos is easy and the wing won't fold. You will have to bunch up the servo wires neatly as there will be excess.
Also a wide clear parcel tape over the well glued white strip will give extra support.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to FPV