Anyone else waiting for the FrySky Taranis TX?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Anyone else waiting for the FrySky Taranis TX?

Postby Andre » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 am

The price looks good - US$175. It seems to be superior to the HobbyKing 9XR, even though it shares the same open source software. It's more 'complete'.

This is one site writing about it -
http://www.frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-fr ... ry-modules

So am I stupid to spend the extra money? I'm open to persuasion either way.
Andre

Re: Anyone else waiting for the FrySky Taranis TX?

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Believe Bruce is waiting on one for reviewing.
Not sure there is anything comparable on the market, a twin module unit like this. Built in 2.4gHz (telemetry) plus option for a JR external including DSM, DSM-x.
I have asked Aloft Hobbies to be placed on an order list, but have had no reply.
IF the price is USD175, then its good value, if the quality is as good as current FrSky modules and Rx then the value is excellent IMHO :D
What comes close.............Turnigy 9X (moduless) USD50 plus FrSky Combo (DJT & V8FR) USD39 plus SmartieParts board USD35 total of USD124
I didn't compare with the 9Xr because it has had a short time in market and a specialty cable is required for firmware updating, that aside it would come in cheaper still.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Turnigy 9X (modul-less) USD50 plus FrSky Combo (DJT & V8FR) USD39

$89
a speciality cable is required for firmware updating

That should be special cable but that aside it's only $4.95 and you don't need it unless you update the software
$93.95 inc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tAodp0EAaA
so your looking $81.05 US better off if you go with the 9Xr.
But the Taranis looks nice.... so it's up to you, both will give a good performance but can you wait until the Taranis actually appears?!!
Apparently Dennis can't, sounds as though the Missus isn't keeping an eye on his spending any-more!?
Den what about the tearful displays you had to put on to get a budget increase!
Now wantonly flaunting your wallet with wild spending sprees ......what's going on!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Den what about the tearful displays you had to put on to get a budget increase!
Now wantonly flaunting your wallet with wild spending sprees ......what's going on!

Just bought her a 55" LED/LCD TV to go with her new cable TV connection, that keeps her out of my hobby room and she can watch from the kitchen.
The poor girl keeps hinting at a dish washer, I keep buying tea towels :D she doesn't seem to get the message :?:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm waiting for the Taranis with bated breath.The speech feature appeals to me,as I presume it would be programmable to tell me when my battery voltage gets low.
Hey Den,I thought YOU were the dishwasher :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 pm

The speech is good, had it for a while on the 9x. I like the inactivity warning because I'm always forgetting I left it on...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:39 am

quarry44 wrote:Hey Den,I thought YOU were the dishwasher :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

When there is the slightest of chances of not doing something I take it, that's the first thing they teach you in Local Govt :lol: :lol:
Besides, we have an unwritten rule, you make the mess you clean it up, guess I'll have to put that in writing coz it's not working :roll: :D :D
cynr100

Postby Andre » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 am

It would be great if Bruce can review it. I can afford to wait. I'm using the HobbyKing HK60F transmitter. It works great for a newbie like me. But I'm ready to migrate upwards and hanker to get the new Spitfire Mk24. It's 6 channel. Unfortunately the HK60F has a sixth channel - but it's a variable knob rather than a switch, so no good for flaps I guess.

But the release of the Taranis is like the 9XR - plenty of excitement, but taking ages for the radio to appear.
Andre

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 am

Just bought her a 55" LED/LCD TV

So gone from the crying game to the buying game!
So what's the idea she can come to the flying field with you and still watch the TV!?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am

No Bill, just got sick of the nagging, apparently 6 RC planes does not make a happy wife :lol:

Here we go again...................stealing some else's thread..........sorry Andre

Finally, some detail
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taran ... combo.html OUT OF STOCK :shock: :cry: :cry:
cynr100

Next

Return to Radios and Servos