Hobby King

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

How do you rate your satisfactioin with HobbyKing's service?

Excellent
21%
Good
46%
Average
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
15%

Total votes : 181

Re: Hobby King

Postby cynr100 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:36 am

That is a good point AshleyB32, probably why I have never had an issue with HK which was not quickly and satisfactorily resolved.
As with all things internet, buyer beware, never spend more than you can afford to lose.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Robr0924 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 am

Two orders with hk, first was an dsm2 orange receiver, and last order 9xr transmitter. And had no issues with either order. No complaints but entered it with extreme caution.
Robr0924

Postby Keith » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 am

180+ orders, one wrong item sent, replaced at no cost to me.
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby lello abbina » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:25 am

Hi,
I am new of that forum but I would like to add my comment to the HK commercial policy.
You are free to buy Chinese but keep in mind that, if you buy expensive stuff chances are that it arrives DOA, then the rule is that you have to send back the item for replacement AT YOUR EXPENSE. So if instead of a radio should they send a brick, a beautiful red brick, well wrapped in the original box, you have to spend more than the value of the item to send back for replacement. I bought a Turnigy 9xr radio and it arrived dead. No transmission of data no receiving. I filmed all the necessary operations to show the malfunction but not even the evidence of a filmed operation that clearly showed the non functioning of the stuff was sufficient. I gave up and considered that buy a legal robbery. :evil:
Pay attention and consider the risk.
lello abbina

Postby Anthony Bradford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 am

You really do have to take the good with the bad when ordering from Chinese suppliers. I live in Melbourne Australia and my first AXN recently arrived from Hobby King. This was my first ever order from Hobby King. The carton it came in was unmarked. Virgin Atlantic had done a fantastic job transporting it. However when opened, the AXN box itself inside had been grandly kicked around by the Chinese soccer team. Corners ripped out, punctured everywhere and covered with marks. Go figure............. Looking inside revealed a perfect unmarked fuselage however the wings and fins are dented and dinged all over. Scratches and fairly deep gouges everywhere. However nothing that compromises the structure so not worth taking it any further. After all it will have lots more very shortly. Also included in that order was an Accucel 6 charger that didn't work. Buttons one and three were faulty so I had to send it back and after about a week I was given a credit. In the meantime I ordered another charger from RCTimer. An IMAX B6. It arrived today. No cardboard box. Just loose in an envelope. And obviously second hand. Dirty and scratched. I haven't tested it yet but button four (play) doesn't feel like it works, It feels like it has been pressed thousands of times not like the other three. Oh well........ Not worth sending it back and I think they know that............ Think I'll try the ACCUCEL 8 next. Wish me luck.
Anthony Bradford

Postby quarry44 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:16 am

My first charger was the Turnigy 70W.I'm still using that without problems.My second one was an imax B6(genuine,if you can believe that),and it was ok for 3 months.Then one of the buttons stuck down,and i had to take it apart to release the button.Also,this charger behaves erratically,in that sometimes i need to insert the balance plug before it will charge,sometimes the other way around,eg. balance plug out.
The buttons feel quite wobbly now,and i wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one of these,not even the "genuine" version.
I have since bought an Icharger 106B,and what a difference.The whole "feel" of the I charger is better,and I suggest instead of buying the accucel 8,you look at the Icharger range.More expensive,sure,but if you have to bin 3 cheap ones,you have already lost much more.
Do keep the cables from the imax tho,as the Icharger only gives you the power cable.But cables are cheap enough anyway,not a dealbreaker.
quarry44

Postby Anthony Bradford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks qyarry44. At this stage I am happy to spend the extra in the hope of getting some quality. And eighty bucks isn’t too bad. I’ll give it a go. Nice looking unit and very well specked.
Anthony Bradford

Postby Rajah45523 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 pm

Just a 'FWIW'...

If you have an iMax B6 charger & are not sure if it's authentic or not,
then go here & enter your details.
> http://www.skyrc.com/antifake/indexen.php
You'll need to enter those "random" numbers as well.
Scratch the square label to reveal the code number.

This is just in case someone needs to know.
;)
Rajah45523

Postby deaconFlyer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:46 am

There are no local hobby shop options where I live. I also don't have inexpensive shipping options where I live.

As a result, I either pay through the nose for products, four to ten time the HK price, and pay at least double their shipping rates. A $5 part from the USA on eBay can easily have a $15 shipping fee. Even HK products sold through several sources are at least double in price before shipping ex: HXT900 servo @ $6.99 + $12.49 to ship ... get the idea?

Many, many orders later and I am happy ... Of course I have to plan months in advance (just ordered a plane for this winter's indoor season) and never order items that are back ordered ... it is better to order and pay the cheapest shipping when the item is in stock. Right now I have four small orders coming. Total for shipping is not the cost of shipping one order from my nearest national shop ... who does offer free shipping on orders over $200 ... if they have it in stock.

I always buy one more of anything and top up the order with small stuff from my wish list. Having a few extra servos, an additional ESC or motor is well worth it when it come to replacing something that breaks.

Waiting is good if you plan ahead ... or are forced to plan ahead.
----
Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer

Postby Anthony Bradford » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks Rajah45523. The website you provided asks for a 16 digit number. Mine is 20 digits and won't fit. So based on that I would have a strong suspicion it might be fake. (According to that particular site). However according to the paperwork that came with the charger HTTP//:imaxrc.com/info is the place to go. And this site claims that it is genuine.
Anthony Bradford

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)