Converting a Pistol grip radio using FrSky DIY module

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Converting a Pistol grip radio using FrSky DIY module

Postby beau0090_99 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a 3-PM Futaba radio that I want to convert. Here are some of the pictures. I believe I can remove the entire yellow board (cutting the red white and black wires to it), since this is the entire RF section of the radio. I see the GND, VCC, and MOD signals, I assume these are the ground, power, and PPM signals that I need to connect to the DIY board. Am I correct on these assumptions?

The big issue is the following:
I want to use this radio with boats, where the Rx is buried in the hull and it would take a couple of inches to reach the antenna tube. Has anyone lengthened the 4 channel antenna wire to give a better aerial? I have considered using the 8 channel Rx with dual antenna exits, but would like to save a couple of dollars.

On a side note, this conversion is really just so that I can keep this radio with 10 model memory and get Rx's cheap (cheaper than 2 ch Rx's after shipping and the Xtal - crazy).
Thanks,
Curtis

Edit: I can't seem to upload photos properly.
beau0090_99

Re: Converting a Pistol grip radio using FrSky DIY module

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:18 pm

I think there's a minimum-post requirement before you can upload images.

Lengthening the antenna on the 4-channel receiver may be a bit tricky but it could be done by using a (coax) flylead. It will have a small effect on range.

I really think you'd be better off using the 7 or 8 channel receivers -- there's not that much difference in price but they also offer diversity and greater sensitivity.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby beau0090_99 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 pm

C'mon Bruce, let me post some pics. Maybe it because it has been so long since I have been here. I hope there are no hard feelings (Only joking). I actually have two other threads that I have pics posted to, but i am not sure if I initiated them or not. I was questioning the lengthening part, and you are right, the 7/8 ch are not that much more expensive.
Does the preceding sound correct about the signals? It is only 3 channels, but I assume that wouldn't matter as you can do the hack on a 4, 5, 6, 7 etc. radio.
Thanks,
Curtis
Edit - nevermind, I missed the big red letters telling me the file size needs to be under 256kb. :roll:
Attachments
DSC09600-C.jpg
Close up of the RF board
DSC09600-C.jpg (132.46 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
DSC09599-C.jpg
This is the yellow board flipped over. Can I simply remove this and tap into these R,W, Bl wires?
DSC09599-C.jpg (116.51 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
DSC09598-C.jpg
The Yellow board is the RF section - correct?
DSC09598-C.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 12950 times
beau0090_99

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 am

beau0090_99 wrote:Does the preceding sound correct about the signals? It is only 3 channels, but I assume that wouldn't matter as you can do the hack on a 4, 5, 6, 7 etc. radio.

I got this reply from FrSky about the minimum number of channels and minimum synch pause length:
"The minimum acceptable number of channels is 3, and the sync-pause time is 4ms or more."
So, you should be okay with the 3-channel pistol grip Tx.
(For the record, FlySky Tx RF PCB works down to 2 channels and 3.4 ms synch pause.)
JMP_blackfoot

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks