What charger to use with the Frysky Taranis?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

What charger to use with the Frysky Taranis?

Postby Andre » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 am

I live in New Zealand. So my new Taranis Frysky was supplied without a charger by Hobby King. From reading around I understand that the transmitter uses its own internal charge control circuitry. Apparently the Taranis is supplied with a 12V wallwart in other countries. Someone wrote that the TX should not be charged below 11.5V because the internal voltage regulator will drop out. If you charge at too high a voltage, you will overload the internal voltage regulator and eventually cook it. One poster suggested that you charge a discharged battery at 13V and a nearly fully-charged battery at 14V.

My concern is that wallwarts differ widely. Some are el cheapo transformers with a simple diode rectifier giving unsmoothed and poorly voltage-regulated supply, while others are sophisticated switchmode supplies with precise output.

So how about the following power supply form Jaycar – 12V 1.5A switchmode.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ID=1000#12
It probably won’t get to 13V – or maybe it will?

Here is an unregulated version – “when loaded below rated power will give a slightly higher output voltage.” So as the Taranis battery approaches fully charged, maybe you can get it to the top with a voltage approaching, say, 14V.
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... ID=1000#12

Any Kiwis or Aussies out there who have solved the problem, please?
Thanks, André
Andre

Re: What charger to use with the Frysky Taranis?

Postby Andre » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:26 am

Nobody responded, so I bought a 12V switchmode stabilised output plug pack.
It seems to work well.
Andre

Return to Radios and Servos