Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x

Postby cynr100 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Fr3d, I'd go for the 9Xr with 2.4gHz combo. Do your simulator training then if you want to carry on you have the gear, if you feel it's not for you put it up on eBay and you will get most if not all your money back.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Fr3d » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 am

cynr100 wrote:Fr3d, I'd go for the 9Xr with 2.4gHz combo. Do your simulator training then if you want to carry on you have the gear, if you feel it's not for you put it up on eBay and you will get most if not all your money back.

Thanks for that quick reply cynr100, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I've been reading your posts with interest and want to hear about the mods you made to your AXN for slope soaring.

Just to confirm, if I buy the 9XR (no module), a 2200mAh lipo battery and Phoenix V4 I will be able to start practising straight away?? I'll buy the 2.4 GHz combo later when I get the AXN.

I was reading another thread where you helped a noob (rocketnz) get started with his AXN. He decides to go solo, no instructor, just teach himself. Then he rushes out to fly and plops the AXN down hard because he got the ailerons reversed. Goes home glues up the plane and then relaunches and flies like a bloomin champ. I just hate it when that happens, I know it will probably take me a year to get that good. :mrgreen: I really want to write an acerbic reply to that guy and let him know that normal noob pilots probably hate him. :shock:
Fr3d

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:22 am

Okay Fr3d, some confusion here so I'll say straight out don't buy your radio gear piecemeal.

Best to get the 9Xr complete with Tx module and Rx plus the recommended battery (helps with resale as a package) then go ahead and do your training.

If your happy with your efforts on the simulator go fishing on YouTube for guys using AXN's for real and get a feel for problems,issues and tips. Vids are great for learning.

Now the simulator will give you confidence because of that magic reset button, out in the field it doesn't exist so your first flight could be wonderous or painfull in the blink of an eye.

Having struggled for over a year and 2 AXNs I went to a field of friendly fliers who undid all my 12 months of bad habits in 5 minutes.

So Fr3d if you get the chance find a field of flyers, the simulator is great for learning stick control but nothing beats hands on from experienced flyers and it will save you a heap of money in the longrun.

On my last AXN I was unhappy going to our soaring site and be up against guys with Easy Gliders and Radians, I couldn't afford the prices so I flattened the wing tips on the AXN and it no longered suffered front buffeting.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Fr3d » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:36 am

Hi cynr100, It's all Bruce's fault. I've been watching his videos, reading his website and now I bought an AXN from HobbyKing for $300!!! Shipping to South Africa was over $100.
I just hope all the bits fit together to make something that can fly. You guys in these forums have been a huge help, Thank You All.

Your order details are: (this probably means a lot more to you guys than to me)
1x Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 2 (No Module) = $50.22
1x FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR-II RX = $37.63
1x USB Simulator Cable XTR/AeroFly/FMS = $4.81

1x #AXN-C-MOT/16568 Floater-Jet EPO with Motor (ARF) = $46.35
1x HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller = $10.38
6x HKSCM9-6 Singlechip Digital Micro Servo (6V) 10g / 1.6kg / 0.07s = $17.94

2x ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C = $21.17
1x ZIPPY Flightmax 1500mAh 3S1P 20C = $7.64

I already know of 3 RC clubs within 10km of my home and a bunch of soaring sites nearby. Its not called the Cape of Storms because we are short of wind either.
Fr3d

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm

:o Holy cr*p was that $300 all up or with the freight :shock: .

That's a good move Fr3d, sims can give you some idea but real life is better so get yourself to one of those clubs.

You guys wouldn't have a day without wind :lol: , CoG is really important for you so pay special care. There is no hard and fast fixed point you will have to check and adjust as you progress and see what type of flight characteristics will suit you. I would suggest on windy days a slight heavy nose and you use trim to adjust.

Grab yourself a stock of fibre reinforced tape and some hot glue, you will be needing them........... :D enjoy.
cynr100

Postby Fr3d » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Shoot, the fibre tape was one of the items that got jettisoned because both packages were on the weight limit. I'll have to get some locally. I'm still amazed that I can buy something in China and it arrives by post at less than half the local cost.

At first it was $400 including shipping. HobbyKing shipping was a nightmare! I bought everything on International warehouse and it came to $185. At the checkout only one shipping option available for $198. I dumped the cart and just walked away cursing like a pirate.

Then I remembered "Google is your friend" and searched, eventually saw tips on how to scramble the automated shipping of HobbyKing. Eventually got the shipping down to $60 + $40 for 2 parcels. The AXN and 9XR (+extras) were only $180. Locally the 9XR with FrSky Combo would set me back $190. Each servo would cost another $6.50, I paid $3. So I get the AXN, ESC, batteries, servos for the price of the shipping. I reckon it's still a bargain.
Fr3d

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Google certainly is :D

By now you may have realised that this hobby is addictive and there are a lot of little things you require to make everything work.......

Soldering iron
Hot glue gun
Heat shrink
Hot air gun
Battery charger
Power supply
Cable connectors
Velcro
Super glue
Razor blades
Lead sinkers

Thats all half the fun, the actual flying :?: just a mere fraction of the time you will spend :lol:
cynr100

Postby Fr3d » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:25 am

Yup, fortunately I have most of those things. I have noticed in my reading and watching videos, the RC flyers (especially Bruce) are a very sharp group of guys. They think clearly about the problem and then come up with wonderfully creative solutions. Half the reason I'm here. I've just been checking out some build videos and blogs and it's beautiful the way the guys put the kit together.

It's going to irk the hell out of me the first time I ding my plane. It might drive me to drink and I'll have to drink a couple of beers to soothe my nerves and frustration.

Maybe I should just hang the AXN from the ceiling and show my friends how the ailerons move up and down and the prop can spin. Then just sit back and admire it like a piece of art while we sip our beers in awe of modern technological advancement.
Fr3d

Postby cynr100 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 am

Fr3d use the fibre tape along the leading edges will give some protection to preserve the airfoil, also along the sides of the canopy area to under the main wing and a few wraps around the tail boom directly below the motor mount. Those are going to be your weak points.
But yeah there are quite a few methods for repair, enjoy, fly, crash, fix hahahaha!!
cynr100

Postby Fr3d » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:04 am

I apologise the totally hijacking NomadicBear's thread but I was hoping he would come back and give us an update on his progress.

Good build advice, thank you. I love Bruce's AXN build videos and I watched them more than once but his method limits transportability with his glued on wings. I'm thinking of taking my plane on holiday with me. My Uncle has a farm in Namibia and his neighbour hosts French glider pilots every year. Apparently they have broken some world records there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTix4Lw0QFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNgxdE-09CA

Namibia is stark and beautiful, like parts of the Aussie outback.

I’m having a hard time finding any AXN simulator models. Do you have any advice?
Fr3d

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)