Battery question

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Battery question

Postby Ant » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 am

This is a LIPO battery question:

It isn't *really* related to RC but hey, who else am I going to ask??

I like to go on hiking trips (2, 3, 4 days etc) and use the GPS in my phone for location data, taking photos and other stuff. I was wondering if you could charge a phone from a LIPO which I found out you can - I found a HK product which is a 2 - 7 cell lipo to usb charger. My question is, is my LIPO going to blow up because it's discharging at a wrong rate if I use a LIPO to charge a phone overnight whilst camping?

I don't know much about lipos (apart from horror stories I've heard) hence the question. My lipos are Turnigy 3s 2400mah.

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Ant
Ant

Re: Battery question

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 am

It will be discharging at a much lower rate than when used for flying, it should be perfectly OK, but don't have it in a tent or caravan with you while you're asleep as things can fail a safer battery to use would be a lifepo4 which doesn't have the inherent danger of the more volatile lipo.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)