Lipo Batteries ? what is the bang for your Buck!

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Lipo Batteries ? what is the bang for your Buck!

Postby will » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am

Hi ,

After watching a number of YouTube video on Lipo batteries, I couldn't find anything on what is going to give me the most flight time or "bang for your buck". I will be using a ( out of the box quad copter) mostly leaning to fly not additional load on the copter...
will

Re: Lipo Batteries ? what is the bang for your Buck!

Postby cynr100 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Flight time depends on many factors the most being power draw. If you a running a RTF unit go with the manufacturers recommend for cell count and mAh. Batteries from different manufacturers can give differing flight times as does how you fly.
In quads, flight times can be increased or decreased by selecting motors with differing kv ratings so can using different size props. If the maker recommends a 3S battery don't use a 4S or you may over power the system and kill it, increasing the mAh rating does not have the same effect but there will be a change in the pack size so be wary of the space you have.
I find Turnigy Nanotech give me the most consistent flight times with equal cell drop, yet standard Turnigys after a few cycles in my Tri or Quad become buffy and constantly require cell balancing. Zippy and Zippy Compact fit neatly between them.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby will » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:10 am

cynr100 wrote:Flight time depends on many factors the most being power draw. If you a running a RTF unit go with the manufacturers recommend for cell count and mAh. Batteries from different manufacturers can give differing flight times as does how you fly.
In quads, flight times can be increased or decreased by selecting motors with differing kv ratings so can using different size props. If the maker recommends a 3S battery don't use a 4S or you may over power the system and kill it, increasing the mAh rating does not have the same effect but there will be a change in the pack size so be wary of the space you have.
I find Turnigy Nanotech give me the most consistent flight times with equal cell drop, yet standard Turnigys after a few cycles in my Tri or Quad become buffy and constantly require cell balancing. Zippy and Zippy Compact fit neatly between them.

Thanks! Interesting to know that the Nanotech batteries are more consistent, this makes an eraser/ no brainer when choosing to purchase these products, worth spending the few extra bucks! I am assuming cell balancing (charging batteries) is a slower charge when a standard charge? Also this would make the Nanotech batteries only need a cell balance after every 4-6 standard charges?
regards
Will
will

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

become buffy

Is that the vampire slayer or puffy the magic dragon?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:20 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
become buffy

Is that the vampire slayer or puffy the magic dragon?

:lol: :lol: .In reality I hide very small grammatical errors just to keep you on your toes...................(lielielielie :D )
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm

will wrote:Thanks! Interesting to know that the Nanotech batteries are more consistent, this makes an eraser/ no brainer when choosing to purchase these products, worth spending the few extra bucks! I am assuming cell balancing (charging batteries) is a slower charge when a standard charge? Also this would make the Nanotech batteries only need a cell balance after every 4-6 standard charges?
regards
Will

Rather than keeping check on the number of cycles before balancing I set my Turnigy Accucell 6 to balance charge, takes a little longer than normal. I run Nano 3S 3300's in my TBS Disco quad, flight time alarmed for 7min leaving the batteries at 40% with a 30min recharge/balance time on the Accucell. This way the LiPo's are always in top condition and not being stressed, always have a battery checker on hand like http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... lyzer.html a great little tool.
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm getting good value from the Zippy Compact line from HK.I had a 2-cell Nanotech that didn't last very long,despite careful charging,etc..Not worth the premium,methinks.The standard Turnigy is ok if you're not drawing huge amps.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Chatting on another forum with a guy that does aerial mapping with a hexacopter for a living, the Zippy line gives him best value and longevity.
cynr100

Postby will » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

cynr100 wrote:
will wrote:Thanks! Interesting to know that the Nanotech batteries are more consistent, this makes an eraser/ no brainer when choosing to purchase these products, worth spending the few extra bucks! I am assuming cell balancing (charging batteries) is a slower charge when a standard charge? Also this would make the Nanotech batteries only need a cell balance after every 4-6 standard charges?
regards
Will

Rather than keeping check on the number of cycles before balancing I set my Turnigy Accucell 6 to balance charge, takes a little longer than normal. I run Nano 3S 3300's in my TBS Disco quad, flight time alarmed for 7min leaving the batteries at 40% with a 30min recharge/balance time on the Accucell. This way the LiPo's are always in top condition and not being stressed, always have a battery checker on hand like http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... lyzer.html a great little tool.

thanks, $20 isn't going to brake the bank... looks like a great tool to have when out flying, save gusting what going on...
will

Postby will » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:41 pm

quarry44 wrote:I'm getting good value from the Zippy Compact line from HK.I had a 2-cell Nanotech that didn't last very long,despite careful charging,etc..Not worth the premium,methinks.The standard Turnigy is ok if you're not drawing huge amps.

thanks
Hobby King Recommends Trunigy Lipo but Zippy have better performance?
For the Quad Copter I am look at starting out with – Walker QR X350
Hobby King Recommends: Note: The QR X350 uses 3.5mm bullet connectors for the battery plug, please see the accessories tab below for the battery adapter to XT-60. This allows you to use our Turnigy batteries with the QR X350.
IS HK JUST GETTING A KICK BACK FROM TRURNIGY OR IS THIS WHAT SHOULD BE DONE?
Looking at the following Zippy:
http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store ... _Pack.html
I can see a balance lead on this battery, in the above link, why do they not have a balance lead?
I would like to know as I heard that motors, controller can burn out if using the wrong or not recommend equipment / products.
will

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)