Radio went dead mid-flight

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Radio went dead mid-flight

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:20 am

Yes because cutting where you did originally, without cutting the orange wires, would have shorted the analogue and digital grounds with the results you saw. The reason I changed the cutting position was so that the wires could stay where they were so now you are OK. :)
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby loopy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Awesome, thanks mate :D
loopy

Postby loopy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Bill.....

A quick question.

My radio glitched again, this time when I used vertical trim.

What could possibly cause this. (Same fault as last time).

Luckily the aircraft was on the ground at the time.
loopy

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Did you cut the back of the boards OK and there was no connection between the digital and analogue grounds?
Did the radio restart by itself or did you have to turn it off and on again?
Did it go into a non functional state and stay there, or did it restart?
If you're using the original software we don't really know what it will do.
The er9x software now detects the problem and reboots so flashing with it is a good idea, apparently you must disable the switch warnings though or else the transmission will hang.
If you do that the FW will restart the transmitter so quickly you will not notice a problem, (we hope).
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby loopy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Bill

I'm pretty sure the boards were totally cut but will check with MM.
I switched off then restarted.
Screen went dark with beep beep beep beep etc till I switched off
It still has original software.
I don't think I have the know-how to reflash

I'll buy a 9XR if you think that will sort it?

Thanks for your help mate.
loopy

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 am

Where do you live there may be someone in your area that can do the re-flash for you.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=315
Otherwise the 9XR may be a good option since you have the Frsky TX module already

BillGriffiths100

Postby loopy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

This site here ....http://barrettsprojects.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/er9x-custom-firmware/ makes the reflash look pretty simple so maybe I'll get the stuff from HK and give it a go
loopy

Postby Juanlargo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:03 pm

loopy wrote:Hi

I was flying my pitts biplane using my turnigy 9x/ frsky JR one way module radio when I lost the link to the model which went into failsafe and subsequently crashed.

While this was happening I looked at the screen and it had gone blank but the backlight was still working.

Immediately prior to the loss of signal I had tried to use the rudder trim. The radio made a series of rapid beeps as if the trim button was working , screen went blank and the beeps continued until I turned off the radio after the crash.

After the crash I turned off and re-started the radio which now seems to be fine. I have not managed to get the radio to fault again on the ground so am hoping for suggestions as to what may have been the cause.

The second thing is the pins on my radio seem to be a bit short and sometimes the module wont transmit unless I push it really hard into the radio. Is there anything I can do about this?

Please note. I feel the 2 problems are unrelated as when the module loses contact the screen is still ok.

Would much appreciate some suggestions as I prefer this radio to my futaba 6xas and don't wanna go back.

Cheers

Geoff

That's what you get for using a POS Turnigy radio, the 9XR is even worse. Spend a few dollars and get a real radio that is reliable and won't conk out in the middle of a flight.
Juanlargo

Postby cynr100 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Juanlargo wrote:
That's what you get for using a POS Turnigy radio, the 9XR is even worse. Spend a few dollars and get a real radio that is reliable and won't conk out in the middle of a flight.

Like a Spectrum............... :lol:

I have been using a 9X with FrSky for 18 months now and the only "glitch" experienced occurred when I turned the radio off. Unlike the 10-12 others I fly with who use Spectrum and have each "lost" at least one plane in the last 12 months.
Each week I see at least one of them racing across the field with their radio above their head praying it will rebind before ground impact, not bad for a TOR radio.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby loopy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 am

I agree with cynr. I can turn my frsky/ 9x off and back on mid=air and get almost instant rebind.

I haven't had a glitch since I did the mods suggested, and feel the 9x is far superior to my futaba both in feel and function.

I certainly wouldn't go back
loopy

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos