video range with 5.8ghz 600mw + clover leaf

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

video range with 5.8ghz 600mw + clover leaf

Postby Twini » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:27 am

I was hoping someone could give me a list of things to try to improve my range, I have the boscom 5.8ghz 600mw system with immersion rc clover leaf antenna's and I can only get 200m away max, it starts breaking up even after 50m... I understand that I should be able to get out past 1km?
Twini

Re: video range with 5.8ghz 600mw + clover leaf

Postby fpvforme » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm

what is the reason that you chose the 5.8 ghz for video? have the tests been performed when you had your RC transmitter on, what is the freq of your RC transmitter?
with 600 mw you should have no trouble getting a lot farther than 200 m, hope you figure it out!
fpvforme

Postby cynr100 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:10 pm

The SMA fitting on the Boscam Vtx/Vrx are different from Fatsharks/Immersion RC antennas, you will need to get SMA adapters to make a better connection.
Also there was a train of thought that you required a 3 lobe antenna for the Vtx and a 4 lobe for the Vrx, 4 lobe for both is the way to go.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Twini » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:27 am

according to this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcXUJAQ6lQ
channel 12 only actually gets you about 9mw of power!, channel 32 was the way to go but still under 100mw.. pretty poor from a device sold as 600mw!
Twini

Postby cynr100 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:34 am

Don't put to much emphasis on the ##mw rating Immersion sell a 25mw system that can get you 2+km !!

Make sure your system is matched, mixing manufacturers can leave you with a lot of questions and no answers. Decide what type of FPVing you want to do and design your setup around that. No point in getting something with "big numbers" then connecting to the wrong type of antennas or having an FPV system that out performs your Tx/Rx system.
FPVing can be done reasonably cheaply if you are looking for near range say 500m, when you start getting further away and the terrain changes you will need to have a system that can handle beyond visual range and that includes a return to home fail safe system.
There are a few forums around that are dedicated to FPV.
Not much help I'm sorry because there are so many factors that come into play but if I had a "matched" Fatshark/Immersion system say 100mx Vtx and I was looking for more range I would probably go for a Helical Vrx to go with my 4 lobe Immersion Vrx.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)