Disappointing response from Spektrum & JR

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Disappointing response from Spektrum & JR

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 am

For some months now, I've been trying to get any kind of response from Spektrum or JR about performance issues with the DSM2 system.

I really find it incredible that neither Horizon, nor the New Zealand JR distributor have even bothered to reply to my requests for contact.

Likewise, the NZ Spektrum distributor simply referred me to Horizon.

I would have thought that they would have been only too keen to discuss anything that relates to the performance of their product -- either to correct my misunderstanding of the situation or to take onboard what I may have to offer in respect to improving the performance and reliability of their products.

But no -- total silence is all I've received back.

The only reason I can think of for this complete lack of response is that they have no reasonable answer to my questions and that they'd rather ignore the issues I wish to raise and are simply hoping that I'll go away.

Perhaps they underestimate the traffic that RCModelReviews is now getting (it averaged 8,000 page views per day last month and continues to grow at a surprising rate).

Perhaps they want nothing to do with an independent publisher who is not swayed by the power of advertising dollars and who is therefore less likely to "overlook" deficiencies in any product being tested or reviewed.

Whatever the reason, I find it rather unprofessional and a little disconcerting.

Perhaps RCModelReviews readers would like to ask Horizon directly why they haven't responded at least, to the email I sent in reply to their podcast when the site was mentioned (albeit not by name) and called a "tabloid" -- for even suggesting that there could be issues with their product.

Surely, if they get enough people asking, they'll have to either respond or explain why they refuse to respond -- or leave people wondering what their motive really is.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Disappointing response from Spektrum & JR

Postby Toumal » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

What issue did you contact them about? Was it the brownout performance video or the problematic channel selection that makes DSM2 vulnerable to interference from 2.4GHz video transmitters?
Toumal

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I inquired about the situation where two DSM channels are allocated in close proximity to each other but I also invited a more open and constructive dialog via email so that any future queries I might have could be addressed and discussed in a more private way than via a forum or website. That would be of benefit to everyone.

I guess they don't talk to the publishers of "tabloid" websites :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Toumal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 am

I kinda understand the motives. Right now, the RC community is still in a "snake oil-accepting" state. It's very easy to sell stuff to the average RC modeler with words and promises alone. Heck, even experienced pilots often have limited knowledge about electrical or RF engineering, and fall for the marketing swag and the fancy ads.

As long as it's possible to sell stuff that isn't there ("spherical radiation pattern") or invent things that already exist (Hitec and their "patented BODA antenna"), or otherwise exaggerate system performance without people questioning the safety and maturity of the product they're investing in, they have very little reason to talk to you.

Heck let's talk about EU regulations and 100mW, shall we? So DSM2 "uses" more 14 channels, just doesn't transmit on all of them? That's not what's in the requirements, folks. Your system does not comply with the regulations, and the german certificate is null and void as far as facts go. It doesn't matter on how many channels you "listen", the regs are about energy spread across the band and Spektrum knows this. They simply reinterpreted the regulations and "overlooked" some parts, which was the cheapest way to make a two-channel 100mW system "compliant".

For all intents and purposes, xjet, you are a hindrance in their marketing efforts. We can't have people know that systems like Jeti work perfectly fine AND fulfill regulations, can we? We can't have the average modeler notice that there are systems like MZK or Multiplex that simply work, or if you're on a budget, chinese manufacturers like FrSky produce a solid product that outperforms the hyped brands at the fraction of the cost of a single overpriced Futaba receiver. (For an example of the FUD that's being spread by one company about the other, check out this infamous posting: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764417 - and that's just one of many examples)

You can't sell a $1000 10-channel transmitter with a second-class RF link to someone who knows the alternatives. So why should they talk to you? The only advice you could give them is to switch to DSM-J or some other system - or recall tens of thousands of DSM2 receivers and admit there's a problem - a problem that only occurs under certain special circumstances.

Hey, this never happens "on the field" anyway, right? It's all benchtests, totally unrealistic, not a problem at all.

Until it's your plane/helo that nosedives.

Must've been the BEC. Or cosmic rays. I paid good money for this system, it must be good. Must be.
Toumal

Postby Startazz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm

As you know Bruce i was one of the first people to listen to
that pod cast they did and tried to get out of why they really
took the video down from YT,as i speak to Jim Booker over
on facebook on his own page plus Horizon hobby page i'll
see if i can get an answer out of him or at least try to get
him or another HH person to take this matter up,but i wouldn't
hold your breath in waiting mate ;)
If they had wanted to take you up on this they would of
done so by know,but like you say if enough of us ask them
they just might have to confront you on this matter so
i'll be keeping my ears and eyes open on this thread :)
IT'S BETTER TO DIE A TIGER THAN TO DIE AS A PUSSY!
Startazz

Return to Radios and Servos