Wet Frsky XJT thanks to Hobbyking

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Postby Mclein » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi,

Im new in the fórum, so ill start asking this to bruce:

I have received after two months my module from Hobbyking (EMS from FIJI post), It turns out that it was all wet and it seems that it was left under the rain.
What are the chances that after a few good days in a ziplock with rice will be back in business??

it was never installed or expose to electricity.

Thanks Again!

Cheers,

Santiago
Mclein

Re: Wet Frsky XJT thanks to Hobbyking

Postby cynr100 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:15 am

Take pictures of everything including the water damaged packing and try for a claim on HobbyKing.
If you have already stripped it down check the PCB for any corrosion (white powdery stuff), try a proprietry dewatering fluid for electronics, not a hydrocarbon based product. Then give your bag of rice ago.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Mclein » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 am

cynr100 wrote:Take pictures of everything including the water damaged packing and try for a claim on HobbyKing.
If you have already stripped it down check the PCB for any corrosion (white powdery stuff), try a proprietry dewatering fluid for electronics, not a hydrocarbon based product. Then give your bag of rice ago.

thanks for the quick response, I have several claims with hobbyking, they doesnt care once they got your money..

Ill check the PCBs and try your suggestion
Mclein

Postby Mclein » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 am

Here are some pictures

http://s530.photobucket.com/user/calear ... show/FRSKY

there is a lot of corrosión where the antenas connect to the pcb on the receiver
Mclein

Postby Rajah45523 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Mclein,
If you aren't going to make a claim then...
use a good electronic/TV tuner type cleaner & a toothbrush to get rid of all the surface "corrosion."
Everything should clean up O.K., as it looks like it's just a reaction with the "acid rain" on the solder/flux joints.

Afterwards, dry it off using a hair dryer & after checking that it functions, spray with an electronic protective coating.

Pity that you can't locate the idiot that left it outside.
;)
Rajah45523

Postby Mclein » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 pm

One question, That yellowish thing covering the antena solder joints on the receiver, I have seen it on a post from RCG from a guy that the antenna snapped off, is that OK to be there right? its not corroded material?
Mclein

Postby Mclein » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 am

Quick update, after brushing them and let them soak for a while on isopropil alcohol now they are working fine. i have to do a range test tomorrow but they bind and all the channels seems to work normal
Mclein

Postby cynr100 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:54 am

That yellow goopy stuff on the antenna connections is used by FrSky as a bonding cement. Gently scrap off any that you can with some wood (popstick or toothpick) and apply a liberal amount of hot glue, be sure to cover the mounting point and the first 2-3mm of the antenna sheathing.
I do this to all my FrSky 4ch units.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Aussie Joe » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:56 am

Hmmmmm, I don't think you can blame Hobbyking for it being wet, I've seen photos and videos of Hobbykings warehouse it's all under cover .

I saw YOUR photos and it looks like more than one box got wet!!!, also why would you accept a delivery that wet looking!!! If I had a delivery like that I would of inspect it first before accepting it and if anything was damaged I would tell the postman/courier to return it to sender.

Sorry if my words sound harsh but that's the way I see it.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:40 am

Yes you're not supposed to blame the messenger but in this case it's definitely the couriers fault!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Next

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries