Extending aerials

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Extending aerials

Postby BB-Q » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

For example, the AR6100.

Although I have literally flown a model out of sight (about half a mile- and got it back more by luck than judgement) in a very crowded fus with one of these, I'd be happier to retro-fit an aerial arrangement similar to the AR500 for greater signal diversity. Or how about introducing a second co-ax aerial on the AR500?

I understand about the actual aerial length on these rx's and the different types of cable used to create them.

My question is this: if I wanted to replace a wire aerial with a co-ax one how would I connect it? Would I just heatshrink the outer sheath at the circuit board or would I need to do something else?
BB-Q

Re: Extending aerials

Postby BB-Q » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:08 am

No-one? I thought there was at least one electronics expert on here. ;)
BB-Q

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 am

I'm not familiar with the AR500 but I assume you're talking about using a coax antenna where there's currently just a single unshielded wire? Is that correct?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BB-Q » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:41 pm

That's right. The AR500 has one co-ax aerial (with the unsheathed portion at the end) and a normal wire for the other.

I know that I can do the same to an AR6100 or similar, but don't know what to do with the shielding at the circuit board end.

EDIT: pic of AR500:

BB-Q

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 pm

If you can send a picture of the circuit board where the short antenna connects I may be able to spot the earth to which you can solder the coax cable shield.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos