Telemetry - stand alone

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Telemetry - stand alone

Postby xenothius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:28 am

Just a general question to the mass's
how much interest do people have in a complete standalone telemetry system (dont get me wrong i love the system being developed by rcmodelreviews)
however my radio system has no module set up (futaba 2.4GHz) so a module based telemetry system doesn't have alot of practicality for me
(i doubt im alone here)

so who would be interested in a real time multi sensor (gps+custom sensors) telemetry system??
i want one for my self so when i get $$$ i will build 1 for myself but is there a market for it?
xenothius

Re: Telemetry - stand alone

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 am

You can already by EagleTree and other stand-alone telemetry systems but I have already developed a system that works on 900MHz which I used extensively with my UAVs.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby xenothius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 am

ok, i will just build one for myself then
looking at the eagletree theres no position info (i believe your system has this)
if i crash i want to know where i crashed so i can get my plane back
so far the uav systems i have found are big $$$ and dont seem to be very small in size or power requirments
but im still looking around to see what i can find
Last edited by xenothius on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenothius

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am

It would be trivial to hook my airborne telemetry hub and dashboard to a low-cost RF link such as the 900MHz XBee products or even some of the low-cost RF modem boards that come out of China.

The hub outputs a serial data stream at 9600bps and the dashboard accepts a serial data-stream at 9600bps.
RCModelReviews

Postby xenothius » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:26 am

i have found gen5,6 gps standalone chip sets and 100kbps transceiver chip sets, with dealers in nz, down side is the chip sets i have found are tiny, and have low power consumption
but im not talking about reworking your system im talking about building my own
xenothius

Postby JimmyJ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:06 am

While stand alone helps advance telemetry, which I have always thought was a good fit for the RC aircraft hobby (funny how it started out in RC cars), stand alone hopefully will "pave the way" for the integration of telemetry into radio control systems. Spektrum's new system is a start.
JimmyJ

Postby xenothius » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:40 am

the main thing i want in a telemetry system is position info, a full array of telemetry ie speed, altitude, position plus other things like fuel, battery, engine rpm, attitude, stall (or aoa) would be really really nice but mainly real time position (i have lost models and know a few people that have as well)
other problem i have is i fly with futaba and as far as i am aware they aren't doing a lot in the way of telemetry (damn my brand loyalty)
xenothius

Postby JimmyJ » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:11 pm

xenothius wrote:the main thing i want in a telemetry system is position info, a full array of telemetry ie speed, altitude, position plus other things like fuel, battery, engine rpm, attitude, stall (or aoa) would be really really nice but mainly real time position (i have lost models and know a few people that have as well)
other problem i have is i fly with futaba and as far as i am aware they aren't doing a lot in the way of telemetry (damn my brand loyalty)

I "went to the other side" from Futaba to JR recently with a 9303 system. JR seems to be taking what could be described as a "low profile" telemetry lead with their cunning market (Horizon) association with Spektrum. Lost models is a great application assuming you are within telemetry range. I said the word "telemetry" the other day to group of club members sitting around and got no response but finally one snorted "why would you ever NEED that!?" The other technology that gets about the same kind of snorts is FPV, but in my opinion, telemetry has the most utility of the two. I would like to see fuel level as well as receiver battery and all the others you mention. I'm in the States here and I hope the FAA or FCC doesn't limit this technology to commercial UAV use. It's for this reason, I feel JR will watch Spektrum's DX8 system closely to see if #1 the market demand is there and #2 what federal regulation will do if anything.
Last edited by JimmyJ on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJ

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:11 am

Telemetry is actually quite useful to those of us who fly in countries where there's a legal maximum height for RC Models.

Here in NZ we are forbidden to fly higher than 400 feet above ground level unless in an area specifically designated as being exempted from that regulation.

I noticed when I was doing my UAV work that it's actually not very easy to estimate altitude and that most model-fliers greatly under-estimate how high their models are. For that reason, an alarm that sounds at 395 feet would be great for ensuring that the law wasn't being broken.

Then (of course) there's the peace of mind that you get from knowing your receiver battery is still charged and that the receiver is still picking up a nice strong signal without interference.

The rest (speed, distance, vario etc) is just icing on the cake ;-)
RCModelReviews

Postby xenothius » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 am

yep, 400ft is not very high even more risk with larger models and gliders and models doing giant "U" passes for speed
the idea behind having real time (or logged) speed is tuning propellers (bruce, you have seen my plane and the prop on it)
but if you raced (example pylon) then speed readout would be very handy for tuning
of course range is an issue owing to the fact of trying to minimize extra drag and weight on the model (the chipsets are small all run of 2aa but the aerial's are problematic, currently looking into pcb antenna's to reduce drag)

for the record i dont think there is an "other" side i just think radio gear comes down to price and personal preference i fly futaba because i always have
i would love a full range telemetry system inbuilt, but im still working on my own standalone system just a case of $$$ at the moment (and finding transceiver chip sets i can easily mount on a board)
xenothius

Next

Return to Telemetry