Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:54 am

The forecast for this weekend is *excellent* -- fine with light winds.

Expect to see a lot of new stuff on the site early next week as I finally get a chance to do many of the things that have been scuttled by bad weather.

Woohoo!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby wavejet » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:14 am

thanks Jayshergill

will try that and see how we get on

Reghards
Andrew
wavejet

Postby F111 John » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:58 pm

johnkim100530 wrote: The probability of two radios sharing the same GUID and falling into the hands of father and son are ifinitesimal.

I would say it's slightly higher than that, since FlySky has in the past produced two radios with the same GUID.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1219
F111 John

Postby F111 John » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Not to be a nag, but have you had a chance for an actual field test of the new FlySky V2 RF system? I haven't heard a thing - good or bad - up till now.

Thanks Bruce,

John
F111 John

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Mea culpa!

I'll definitely be doing the testing tomorrow come rain wind or (quite possibly) snow ;-)
RCModelReviews

Postby Jayshergill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:41 am

yes Bruce, please I've been waiting for the Turnigy 9X V2 field tests results for a while now. So if you can do it soon as possible that would be great. Thank you
Jayshergill

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:13 am

I range and flight-tested the new FlySky FHSS module/receiver setup.

Range seems adequate. It was still working just fine at 650m (which is the length of space I had available to me today) and believe me, unless you're flying quarter-scale or very large gliders, it's very hard to see a model at that distance.

I did a comparison test between the FlySky V2 and the FrSky (using their parkflier receiver).

Both transmitters were placed 600mm (2 feet) above the ground. A transmitter held at normal waist height could be expected to deliver more range than was obtained in this simple test.

Both receivers were attached to some coreflute and I then drove to the far end of the sealed runway I use.

At 650m, both receivers were still functioning with the bind-lights solid.

The very interesting aspect was that, no matter which way I oriented the FrSky parkflier receiver, it would not lose the link but the FlySky would drop the link when the sleeved dipole was pointed directly at the transmitter (although the angle over which this occurred was very narrow.

When I lowered the receivers closer to the ground, the FrSKy parkflier lost the link before the FlySKy V2.

What does this prove?

The FlySky V2 is more sensitive than the FrSky parkflier (which is to be expected, since FrSky claim only 500m range for their tiny receiver).

Despite lower range, the FrSky receiver has no significant nulls in its antenna pattern, even at the extremes of range.

The FlySky V2 has nulls (as would be expected from a sleeved dipole) but these seem so narrow that it's unlikely you would notice their effect in normal flying at normal ranges.

I then flew the FlySky V2 receiver in an electric model to the limits of visibility and altitude. It showed good control the whole time. I even attached one of those little keyfob cameras to the model which I'd hoped would record the status of the bind light throughout the entire flight -- so I'd see if it went out at any stage. Unfortunately there was too much sun to see the bind light from some aspects but it certainly didn't look as if there was any signal loss.

Bottom line:

The FlySky receiver should be fine in any electric or glow/nitro sport model of average size. The lack of programmable failsafe means you won't want to use this receiver in a large/fast model but for all other applications I think it should work quite well.

I'll do some more testing on the interference rejection capabilities of the receiver this week and see how well it performs under heavy noise conditions.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
I range and flight-tested the new FlySky FHSS module/receiver setup.

Please post this flight test report on Page 5 of Turnigy 9X V2 Review. It seems more appropriate if the flight test appears in the review article.
johnkim100530

Postby johnkim100530 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:42 am

After reading the flight test report, I ordered Turnigy 9X, V2, and three extra receivers.
I will end up with three FlySky radios, one iMAX, one Turnigy V1 and one Turnigy V2.

Next weekend, I will take a dozen of outdated 72MHz radios to the field and get ride of them.
johnkim100530

Postby jonlowe » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:00 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm pretty sure the bind button doesn't reduce the power but I will check that next time I'm at the workshop.

Bruce,
I got one of these spectrum analyzers, http://ubnt.com/airview, the Airview2 ($39 US!), and checked to see if the bind button on the Turnigy V2 also reduced power for range checking. No apparent reduction. The Airview2 is very similar to the $99 analyzer you tested sometime back. Seems to work very well, and the software is easy to use, even for someone totally unfamiliar with spectrum analyzers.

Jon
jonlowe

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers