The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: The 2.4GHz module;/receiver shootout results

Postby Lead Wings » Tue May 11, 2010 11:26 pm

coronarc.nz wrote:Wasn't the Assan system less tollerant of interferance on the channels it opperated on?

Yes in theory, but in practice I (and many others) have never had a problem. Just shows how much better even single frequency is than AM/FM.
Lead Wings

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Lead Wings wrote:
coronarc.nz wrote:Wasn't the Assan system less tollerant of interferance on the channels it opperated on?

Yes in theory, but in practice I (and many others) have never had a problem. Just shows how much better even single frequency is than AM/FM.

Yes, most of the systems tested had plenty of headroom and will cope perfectly well with the noise level found at an average flying field.

However, one thing to watch with the single-frequency (or DSM2 on a bad day) is if someone turns up with an FPV system that has a 2.4GHz video sender onboard.

If the video transmitter just happens to sit on top of the channel(s) chosen by the simpler systems then you could encounter problems. In my tests, the DSM2 system could be knocked out by a 600mW 2.4GHz video transmitter and another engineer in Australia was able to do the same with a much lower-powered video sender when he verified my results.

The frequency hoppers and triple-frequency systems (Corona, FD, FrSky, Futaba, etc) are unaffected by a single video transmitter operating on the band.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby coronarc.nz » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 am

I found out some usefull information about the Corona system today that I was not previously aware of and may be of some help to people who have been experiencing some glitching due to interferance on the system. If you read the standard instructions that come with the system it tells you not to press the transmitter module button for longer than 3 seconds but it does not tell you what happens if you do. If you are finding you are getting a lot of interferance or strange glitches at your normal flying field, try this... Start up the transmitter and press the button on the module for longer that 3 seconds then turn it off again. This will change the transmitters ID setting, so all your receivers will need to be re-bound (in the normal way) to the transmitter after performing this process. However, during the reassigning of the module's ID I am told that the system performs a scan and allocates new operating frequencies that are clear of interferance. I must stress, this will only work for frequencies active at the time that you reset the module ID, so it is not an absolute cure. Bruce, I would be interested to know if this could be prooven using your frequency analyser with the video sender working...
coronarc.nz

Postby johnkim100530 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:34 am

Lead Wings wrote:
johnkim100530 wrote:Now seeing the result of shootout, I decided to stick with FrSky. What shall I do with the rest of radios I collected? I have Assan, Corona, iMAX/Hobby King/FlySky, FlyDream, XPS, Spektrum DSM2 DX-7. Anybody want any of them?

John, I would be interested in you Assan stuff, and have a mate who would be interested in the DX7.

I tried to PM you but it didn't work - can you try PMing me?

Make an offer. I have Assan Futaba module and 3 receivers.
johnkim100530

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 am

To Lead Wing

PM is not working. If you are interested in hack model, I suggest Corona hack set. It costs only $29 from Hobby King, including TX module and a receiver.
johnkim100530

Postby Lead Wings » Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 pm

johnkim100530 wrote:To Lead Wing

PM is not working. If you are interested in hack model, I suggest Corona hack set. It costs only $29 from Hobby King, including TX module and a receiver.

John, I already have an Assan set-up - that is why I was interested in your Rx's if you wanted to offload them

e-mail me - malcolm.reeson-at-worleyparsons.com
Lead Wings

Previous

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers