Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Postby rowingman » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:14 am

Hello. In the $8 battery conversion article, you describe soldering a resistor across the one pictured, but in the pictures, it seems like the new resistor is soldered to the one below on one side, and the other side goes to the correct resistor. Is this the proper way to solder it or should it just jump the resistor that you identify? Thank you.
rowingman

Re: Turnigy 9x transmitter li-ion battery conversion

Postby rwsams » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:15 pm

I just completed the battery conversion on my FlySky TX9 and it works like a charm. The pictures tell the story. Jumpering the 8.2K ohm resistor across both surface mount resistors just as the photos show works great. It was tricky to do the soldering for my 60+ year-old hands, but a strong magnifier and moving carefully worked fine. One piece of advice......carefully bend and fit the resistor leads to the solder points before you try to solder them. I ended up going back and forth a couple of times and that wasn't doing any good to the board. This is pretty fine work. Excellent light and magnification were essential to me.

Thanks for the conversion info, RC! Great stuff.
rwsams

Postby datastream » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:28 am

Hi all,
I am new to this forum so hopefully I am doing this correctly.
I have purchased one of those cheap Chinese foamy high wings called a Busy Bee.
Anyway I modified the transmitter to take the Li-ion battery conversion using 2 - 3000mah batteries.
It seems to have worked fine except I have a row of 3 lights on the face of the transmitter housing one green one orange and one red.
When I power up the transmitter the green light is on the orange is off and the red is flashing. I assume this is to warn of low power.
Can anyone tell me how I find out where to solder the resistor so as to stop the flashing red light?
This transmitter is a Riccs RIR4EXA 4 channel. Other than disconnecting the light which means I would have no low power warning.
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
datastream

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:31 am

It's not possible to work out where to put the resistor without a radio or circuit diagram in front of me.

If this is a FlySky 4-channel (like the Hobby King one) I'll see if I can borrow one of those radios and work out where to make the modification.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby datastream » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 am

Thanks very much . If need be I could always take a digital photo and then forward to you.
Any help is good anyhow.
I was thinking if it doesnt work i would use one of those cctv li-ion 12v batteries. What do you think?
datastream

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 am

I'm not familiar with the 12V Li-Ion batteries you're speaking of -- do you have a link?
]
RCModelReviews

Postby datastream » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:56 am

When I was browsing e-bay for 12v li-ion batteries I noticed advertisements for CCTV camera li-ion batteries.
If you open e-bay (you dont need to be a member to search) and use the search area to type in WIRELESS CCTV BATTERIES you should see some blue battery packs of various types with different mah sizes.These also come in different physical sizes. I thought they may be useful to power 12v model systems.
Here is a link http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!Bss8yu!Bmk~$(K ... Q~~_35.JPG
datastream

Postby dalefhome » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi to All
I have the turnigy 9x. I have been looking for the post on how to do the battery mod for this Tx.
I have a 11.1v Tx battery form HobbyKing that works. The Tx seems to get hot after a few minutes.
I have heard that only 5v is needed to run this Tx. Where can I find the battery mods for this Tx.
Both Li-Poly and Li-ion.
Thank you all
dalefhome

Postby dalefhome » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:02 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I'm not familiar with the 12V Li-Ion batteries you're speaking of -- do you have a link?
]

Hi
I have the turnigy 9x. I have been looking for the post on how to do the battery mod for this Tx.
I have a 11.1v Tx battery form HobbyKing that works. The Tx seems to get hot after a few minutes.
I have heard that only 5v is needed to run this Tx. Where can I find the battery mods for this Tx.
Both Li-Poly and Li-ion.
Thank you
dalefhome

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:01 pm

The DIY $8 battery modification article is here
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries