Hitec Eclipse 7 and FrSky telemetry module issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Hitec Eclipse 7 and FrSky telemetry module issue

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I hope someone can help me out here. I usually use a Spektrum DSM2 radio setup on my trainer so that is the radio system I am more familiar with.

For the purposes of investigating FrSky's new telemetry based system I acquired a Hitec Eclipse 7 tranny and the FrSky DFT radio telemetry system. I am not going to pretend that I know what I am talking about as I am fairly new to this game. I have installed the FrSky radio module into the Eclipse and following the instructions that came from FrSky I binded the receiver to the radio. On the radio module the two little switches at the back are in the 1 and 2 positions (which I take to mean they are in the OFF position with regards to the instructions) the red LED is solid on and the green LED is blinking very fast which according to the instructions means it is communicating with the receiver.

On the receiver the red LED is solid ON with the little green LED next to it is glowing very faintly. I assume that is what they mean when the say "glooming" on the instructions! All indications are that according to the paperwork the tranny and the receiver are properly bound.

However, with a servo connected into the receiver I am not getting any movement at all on any of the channels when moving both the sticks about. Am I missing something here? The radio is set for PPM, should there be something else I need to set on the radio?

Also how do I connect the battery to the receiver? Should I use the port on the side of the receiver marked Rx or should I use one of the eight channels connectors?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Evan

Re: Hitec Eclipse 7 and FrSky telemetry module issue

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 pm

Did you bind the radio in accordance with the instructions first?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RobC » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:52 pm

After binding are you switching both transmitter and receiver off then on again?
The battery can connect to any servo plug. I'm not sure about the "Rx" plug, that's the serial input.
RobC

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Hello Bruce, as I mentioned above I did bind the receiver to the transmitter according to the instructions. Any ideas?
Evan

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:55 pm

RobC wrote:After binding are you switching both transmitter and receiver off then on again?
The battery can connect to any servo plug. I'm not sure about the "Rx" plug, that's the serial input.

Yes I am. I have followed the instructions to the letter.
Evan

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:54 am

I guess that so long as you have the servos connectors in the correct way around and in the right channels it should be working.

If you turn off the transmitter, do the servos do anything?

If you try to turn the servos by hand with everything on do they offer any resistance or do they act as if there's no power?

Try changing the switches to the ON KE positions and back -- just in case they're not contacting properly.

Let me know if any of that helps.
RCModelReviews

Postby Evan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 am

I have the servos connected onto the receiver with the white signal lead at the bottom of the receiver. I have tried both ways just is case.

The battery is connected on to the receiver using channel 8. I have tried using all of the remaining channels on the receiver with the servo. The servo I am using is analog, should this make any difference or should I be using a digital servo?

With everything connected up the servo is not offering any resistance when I manually turn the servo arm. It feels like it not getting any power even though the receiver is on. However, when I first connect the servo to the receiver with the battery already in the receiver the servo moves a small amount like it is being initialized. After that, nothing.

I have tried flicking the switches back and forth several times on the transmitter module with no difference.

When binding the transmitter to the receiver I am following the instructions that came with the box.

1.) Hold the button in on the tx module and turn on the transmitter (red LED is now flashing and making a continuous beeping sound)

2.) Hold down the button on the receiver and connect the battery, the tx module will beep and the receivers red LED with now flash (I assume this means that they have finished binding as it takes a fraction of a second for them to do this.)

3.) Disconnect power to both the tx and the rx and reconnect.

In the instructions they suggest that the green LED on the receiver will indicate that it is receiving commands from the transmitter however the red LED on the receiver is now on full with the green LED next to it glowing very very faintly.

With the transmitter on the other hand the red LED is on constantly and the green LED is flashing very quickly.

Still no movement on the servo and I am not sure if the Eclipse 7 is actually taking to the FrSky module even though it is supplying it with power. Aaarrggg!!!

Unfortunately as I am new to this game I don't have a spare modular transmitter to test if the Eclipse is faulty or a spare tx module to see if the FrSky tx is faulty.

Any help much appreciated.
Evan

Postby RobC » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:13 pm

have you got a 35/72Mhz module and receiver to prove that the transmitter is working? That would be my first step. Any clubmates/fellow flyers you can ask for help ? I know you have already said you are using PPM setting, but just check that again one more time. The TX module switches are set in the position furthest away from the aerial (as you said before, with the slider nearest the 1, 2 and away from On KE) still? If it still looks to have bound but won't operate a servo, either the transmitter itself or the Fr gear sounds to be faulty. Without another module or receiver to test it with you really are limited to sending it back to the supplier for testing.
RobC

Postby Evan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:16 pm

Ok, I think I might have solved the issue but I am not sure why I have to do this when I turn the transmitter on or if it is something perculiar to Hitec.

After switching on both the transmitter and receiver (lights on both indicate that they are talking to each other) I then have to hold and release the trainer switch. When I do this the servos initialize and then I have full control of them from the transmitter with the sticks.

I have yet to find a setting in the manual to over-ride this action. What worries me is that if I turn the tranny off and back on again I have to hit the trainer button again before it will let me have control of the servos agian. If I lose tranmission in the field I have to make sure I am quick off the mark before the model hits the dirt!

Again, any suggestions or am I being obtuse?
Evan

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Is there any difference in the rate/intensity of the green LED flashing before/after you hit the trainer switch?
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to Radios and Servos