Upcoming reviews...

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Upcoming reviews...

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 am

I've just received a box with some samples of XCore servos which I'll be testing next week.

Alongside these I'll also be testing some similarly spec'd servos from Savox.

If anyone has any suggestions for similar servos (coreless, digital, metal geared standard-sized servos) then pop your suggestion in this thread. I have developed a special computer-controlled servo-testing rig that provides nice graphs of servo movement, providing easy-to-read and very precise pictures of the speed, accuracy, overshoot, dead-band, torque, current-draw, etc.

This will allow some very accurate comparisons between servos which is probably important, now that there are so many hi-performance units coming on the market.

Make your suggestions now, before it's too late!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Upcoming reviews...

Postby beau0090_99 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Bruce,
I think it might be nice to get a baseline on some of HK's cheaper servos, especially their T9e (I think that is the one), which is $1.99. Also, I would like to see the ubiquitous 5010 servo (ferom HXT/Towerpro) and some of the PowerHD's.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for position and velocity feedback? Do you have a high res encoder of some sort?
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 26, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm currently just using a pot but I do have an optical encoder here that I may recruit for the purpose if necessary.

The pot and A/D seem to work just fine at the moment though.
RCModelReviews

Postby beau0090_99 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:11 pm

I guess it all depends on the precision of the pot and the A->D converter. A good 1000-2000 quad encoder would be nice to see good precision. I have all of the control equipment here, but I have no good way of building a test rig mechanically.
Regards,
C
beau0090_99

Postby Mr Ed » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 pm

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10521

Here is a servo I would love to see a report on along with the 261. I bought 4 of the 251's on sale and while they seem to work good for now, I haven't been flying that plane very much do to the fact I have to go all the way to the field to fly it and that's a 40 mile drive each way. So far I have been happy with it, but I would really love to see you do a test on them and find out just how good they really are. If you need one for testing, I would be happy to send you a couple to test as I don't fly that plane much anyway. They are in my Eagle 580 and I don't get to fly that one much. To long a drive and my car uses gas that I have to take into consideration too. I don't have any 261's. but have been thinking of getting a couple of them.

Ed
Mr Ed

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:45 pm

My servo-test rig is just waiting to be put into a box. That means I'll be able to test almost any servo for speed, torque, accuracy, resolution, current-draw and a few other parameters in under 5 minutes -- with pretty graphs and charts so they can be easily compared to each other.

I already have a little pile of servos to be tested here but I'll add the 251D to the list.
RCModelReviews

Postby Mr Ed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 am

Great. That sounds fantastic. I think the only difference in the 251 and the 261 is the gear ratio that is used. Other the then that I think they are the same. I got 4 of them for $15.00 each on a sale that Hobby King had and just couldn't turn them down. It sounds like a great servo and from the way they are running they seem to be a good servo, but I would rather have you test them then have to wait a year or so to see how these things hold up before I buy any more. They are the perfect size for something like the E-Eagle and with the SD 10G I need to run digitals with the FHSS 3 receivers.

Ed
Mr Ed

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:40 am

I watch with keen intrest , I would like to be able to buy inexpensive servos from HK with confidence. Currently it is a hit and miss proposition. :(
jeffie8696

Postby jet760 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 am

Hi bruce when you putting up another video, and whens the telemetry video going to be out on
Regards
David
jet760

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:53 am

Hi, the wife's surgery has taken up lots of time this week but she's back home tomorrow so I'll see what I can do on the weekend.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to Radios and Servos