What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

What brand of RC glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

OS
41%
Thunder Tiger
5%
ASP/Magnum
14%
Saito
8%
YS
No votes
Enya
5%
SuperTigre
6%
Webra
5%
Tower/GMS
3%
Other (specify)
13%

Total votes : 63

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 pm

Actually I've been trying to find a decent kit/ARF that I can recommend to people who buy my pulsejet engines.

Every time I convert an ARF to pulsejet it seems they stop making them so I have to look elsewhere. I was almost at the point of having a kit/ARF specially made.

Most people don't want to scratch-build, they want to buy an engine and buy an kit (or preferably an ARF). Maybe the Wonder would be a good option.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RobC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:13 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Where did you get the MVVS. I thought they'd stopped making glow-engines.

I picked it up second-hand in excellent condition. I was a bit worried by the butterfly carb that's fitted, but it seems to work a treat. It's fitted in an 80's Joker pattern model with a quiet pipe and pulls it 'with authority' - ie it only needs half throttle most of the time. I've just had to shorten the nose of the Joker a shade (15mm) as it was too nose heavy, the model was designed for OS Hanno Pretner and similar rear exhaust motors, which as I remember them were quite chunky units themselves.
RobC

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:41 pm

dont expect to see SIG carry any ARFs any time soon. They got burned pretty badly this year. :cry:
I must confess I am not much of a kit builder , my last plane was an Escapade ARF from Great Planes. I highly recommend this plane too.
A friend of mine swears by the Wonder, says he can have one built in a weekend(and to think I can remember a world without Super Glue). Admittedly the Wonder is a bit scary to me at this point (hey it doesnt even have landing gear) and with its reputed speed I have chosen to avoid them until my experience level is much higher.
Now if it had a powerplant on its back like the Volksjaeger HE-162 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 8-)
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Yes, a few companies lost money to "fly by night" ARF factories in China over the past 12 months or so.
RCModelReviews

Postby slidexxx » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 am

Had to vote for OS,Its been the only one thats pushed around my bobcat without farting or overheating (55AX)Asp 4strokes are my next fav.Playing more with gas now.
slidexxx

Postby Mr Ed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:24 am

Well, guess I'll have to show my age here a little. I started with nothing but K&B and a Fox 35 as an odd ball. Then went to Hp and loved them. Best running engine I ever had. Then I started using OS because the HP were starting to be hard to get and they ran pretty good too. Now I use OS and Saito and like the Saito the best. Flying more on electric now though, so my glow engines don't seem to get much use any more. Much easier to start a motor then start a Saito.

Ed
Mr Ed

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 am

Gosh, my Saitos all start with the merest nudge of a starter ;-)

I've tried and tried to warm to electrics but they really don't spin my wheels in the same way that burning methanol and a crisp exhaust note do.

An electric P51D just doesn't sound at all right. Put a TT91FS with an open-pipe exhaust in the same plane, throw on a Master Airscrew K-series prop and then things get so sexy your eyes will water with joy as your ears feed that sweet sound to your brain.

Ah....

And don't get me started on the smell of castor oil in the exhaust smoke... sigh... :-)
RCModelReviews

Postby Mr Ed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:52 am

Your right, in a P-51 I would use a Saito without thinking and love it, but most of my planes are pattern and gliders. I don't do much in the way of scale. I also love the OLD TIMERS like the Valkyrie and the Goldberg Sailplane. The last scale I did was back in about 1980 and it was a Sig Rayon ST.

Ed
Mr Ed

Postby CustomPC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

I have a soft spot for Enya's and i now have 3 of them.

I have a .45 SS Ringed, .61CX Ringed and a .53-4C still in the box waiting for that rainy day.

Enya's are very well made engines that last a lifetime with proper care.

My second choice of engine is OS. They are honest and reliable engines and just great for sport use. Every one of the half dozen OS engines i have owned has given me stirling service.
CustomPC

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Enyas are nice engines -- just a shame about the price. I put them in a similar league to Saito -- great if you can afford them.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to IC Engines