Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 am

I didn't expect that the bind button would reduce the power -- it hasn't on any of the other FlySky transmitter systems.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Bryce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reviews, that helped me to decide whether this radio was worth it or not.
I now have it (actually the Eurgle V3 clone).

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a mod similar to this one:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/app ... um_mod.htm
I opened my tx but didn't find a similar component in it, only a LM78M05 inside the 2.4GHz module.
I guess there must be another one hiding somewhere in the radio case itself, but I know nothing about electronic stuff...
That mod when using a 3s battery pack would probably give a bigger autonomy than the resistor trick you shared.
What's your opinion ?

Brice
Bryce

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:28 am

Yes, that kind of mod could be done and making it to the module (which consumes most of the power) would be the first place to start (if there's room).

Some third-party modules (such as those from FrSky and FlyDream) not only outperform the FlyDream system but already have switching regulators in them.

Adding a switching regulator for the main logic board wouldn't save you much as this doesn't draw very much current anyway.
RCModelReviews

Postby Bryce » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks a lot for your answer !
I may try this mod then.
I found this component that I think would be a direct replacement for the 78M05:
http://www.recom-international.com/swit ... -78xx.html
Do you think it should be ok ?
Bryce

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 pm

An interesting product -- I'll take a look at it.

I note however, that they do recommend the use of a low-pass filter on the output to reduce the ripple on the regulated voltage (typical in the case of switch-mode regulators).

The other issue will likely be price. The 7805s are cheap as cheese. I'll also have to check because the 9X may use a 3.3V supply rather than a 5V one, I'm not too sure. I know the original transmitter modules had a series of linear regulators in them to deliver 5V, 3.3V and 2.5V.
RCModelReviews

Postby Bryce » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:03 pm

Here's the inside of the FlySky module :
Image Image
It seems there's actually a 3.3V regulator.
Does it really mean that out of the 9.6V that are given to them, the module and radio only need and use 3.3V ?
And the rest is just dissipated as heat ?
I don't understand why they don't simply use only 4 NiMh instead of 8... :shock: (Edit: ok, I figured it's needed if an FM module is used...)
Well I think I might as well just use your resistor and 8$ battery trick... :)
Bryce

Postby xxxcellarator » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:36 am

Bryce wrote:Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reviews, that helped me to decide whether this radio was worth it or not.
I now have it (actually the Eurgle V3 clone).

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a mod similar to this one:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/app ... um_mod.htm
I opened my tx but didn't find a similar component in it, only a LM78M05 inside the 2.4GHz module.
I guess there must be another one hiding somewhere in the radio case itself, but I know nothing about electronic stuff...
That mod when using a 3s battery pack would probably give a bigger autonomy than the resistor trick you shared.
What's your opinion ?

Brice

Hi Brice, how are u finding the Eurgle version of the radio? Have you gotten a chance to field test yours yet in terms of range and performance?

Ive purchased the same radio from R2hobbies about a week ago, so im expecting it to arrive in the following week.Ive bought the
surface 3ch Eurgle from them in the past and have been extremely happy with it. Im hoping this will be the same.

I decided to go with that one because first and foremost they have plenty in stock, they have plenty of receivers in stock as well (including the
6ch version which is cheaper), has a better design with the antenna still on the module, and past good experience as a satisfied customer.
xxxcellarator

Postby Bryce » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi !
The radio is nice and I'm happy with it, except the horrible beep on each keystroke... :?
I'm only flying a 450 size heli with it at the moment, so I can't really test its range.

Some bugs remain though. Th DR/Expo bug of the V1 radios is fixed, but it's still not possible to use an aux channel as master in a mix.
It seems this bug has been fixed in the Turnigy version of the radio. :(
Not very important for me, the features I really need work well.
I think I will try to flash it with the Turnigy firmware when I'll have my programmer.
Maybe even an alternative one, just for fun... :geek:
Bryce

Postby xxxcellarator » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:56 pm

ok, awsome. thanks for that info. Im probably only going to be using it on 4 chl airplanes and i doubt ill ever really need any mixing features, although i might try them in the future.
but for now ill be happy as long as the radio works nicely. btw, the beeping noise can be shut off on the 3ch Transmitter by holding the "back" button until the speaker icon disappears.
the 9x might have something similar.

Peter.
xxxcellarator

Postby wavejet » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I just found out that the TopFire is a FlySky Version 1 system (same as the original 9X).

These two systems should run side-by side without problems -- although I have to admit that I've not actually checked to see if a set running V2 interferes with a set running V1, I will do that tomorrow and report back.

Could be that FlySky has goofed and created two incompatible sets that affect each other -- or that (by some strange coincidence) both of your radios share the same GUID (which means the V1 will try to respond to the V2 transmitter when it hops onto the frequency being used).

Hi Bruce

thank you for the help with this, we have found that if the TopFire is turned on first and then my 9X V2 all works ok

Regards
Andrew
wavejet

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers