DSMJ

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

DSMJ

Postby 3dmikey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 am

I know Bruce is playing with a set at the moment but is anyone in the real world using this. I have just ordered a 11X and am converting to the J from dsm2. Bruce, all I need is a good, bad or ugly :D Cheers
3dmikey

Re: DSMJ

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Still waiting to get my hands on the DSMJ system that's been promised. Hopefully in a couple of weeks or so.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby CustomPC » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 am

A DSX 7 DSM-J radio and receiver popped up on ebay here recently. Curiousity won over and i grabbed it for a song.

I'll also have a Wi-Spy 2.4i next week and will run some preliminary tests and maybe a video or 2.

I am in no way as knowledgeable as Bruce or Kiwi but i should be able to show the basics.

I've always be an Avid user of JR but don't like DSM2, so i made the switch to Futaba FASST.

But i'm keen to see what DSM-J brings to the table.

What appeals to me about the DSM J kit is that there is actually a decent range of receivers available in Japan ranging from a tiny 5gm 4 channel unit for indoor foamys, A 6 channel in the same format and 7-12 channel receivers. A lot of them are available as either Satelite style (like Spektrum) or Coax like Futaba FASST.

If DSM-J turns out to be a good thing then i would love to switch back from my Futaba to a DSX11.
CustomPC

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:21 am

Keep us informed CustomPC

I'm still waiting to get access to the DSM-J system that I was offered a loan of. Actually, the guy who was going to buy it may have changed his mind when he discovered that the local (NZ) agent wanted nearly $500 for a receiver.

JR seem to be the worst company I've ever (tried to) deal with. None of the distributors I've contected (Horizon in the USA and Airsail in NZ) even bother to return my emails and JR Japan only advertises a phone number -- no email, can you believe that?

I'm currently trying to get samples of the current range of "brand name" 2.4GHz radios together for a shootout but everyone (except Hitec) seem to be ducking for cover at the moment. Perhaps that says far more about the confidence various manufacturers have in their product than any review I could write?
RCModelReviews

Postby CustomPC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:27 am

Hi Bruce,

Can you tell me which settings you used in the WiSpy Chanelyzer software when reviewing the DSM2 kit?.

I've got a Wi-Spy 2.4i and Chanelyzer Lite.

I want to used the same settings so we can see any immediate differences.

Thanks
CustomPC

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:01 am

I'll have to take a look when I go to the workshop but there's not much you can change really so just make sure you have the frequency display on (rather than the WiFi channel display) and show the 2D displays.

More info tomorrow when I've had a chance to check my settings.
RCModelReviews

Postby 3dkat1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Bruce
I have a DX7 DSM2 on order ,8 or 9 channels would of been nice but Couldn't justify or afford spending that much when I can get away with a 7 Ch .
Your welcome to use it in your reviews if you wish .
Richard
3dkat1

Postby CustomPC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:11 am

Hey,

I fired up the DSM-J radio and Wi-Spy last night. It wasn't a conclusive test because i still had my wireless LAN turned on and there were signals from neighboring WLAN's as well.

What i can see so far is that it does hop and spans a good proportion of the band. It was hard to determine the amount of channels.

On the 3D view in is more obvious and you can see how it is spread accross the whole band, even those channels which were occupied buy the WLAN's (except the signal is much stronger).

For comparison, i also checked my Futaba 10CHG FASST radio and the 3D view looked almost identical. In fact, if i wasn't holding the TX in my hand i would've had a hard time determining which one it was just by looking at the screen.
CustomPC

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:32 am

That's what I would have expected and should mean that DSMJ will be far more resilient in the face of interference.

What a shame that Horizon are stuck in the past, refusing to offer DSMJ technology to their US customers.
RCModelReviews

Postby nzimmers » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:53 am

RCModelReviews wrote:That's what I would have expected and should mean that DSMJ will be far more resilient in the face of interference.

What a shame that Horizon are stuck in the past, refusing to offer DSMJ technology to their US customers.

I would wager that they don't want DSMJ to compete with their own DSM2 sales, at least not while DSM2 sales are going strong.
nzimmers

Next

Return to Radios and Servos