Version 3.0 of the Fly-Dream 2.4GHz module and receivers

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Version 3.0 of the Fly-Dream 2.4GHz module and receivers

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 am

This review can be found at: http://rcmodelreviews.com/flydreamv3review.shtml

Feedback, questions or comments can be left in this topic.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Version 3.0 of the Fly-Dream 2.4GHz module and receivers

Postby zl3vml » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for a very good and subjective review.
I have just ordered a 4ch rx and their DIY tx module to fit to an old homebuilt (1980) FM set I have sitting around, more out of curiosity and as an experiment to see how good they perform. I sort of have this idea of it possibly being a good way to convert some of our older club members to 2.4 who are not too keen to buy new radios and gear, besides them being very familiar and comfortable with their current radios.
Since I will not get round to this for some time, I was just wondering if you would like them for testing/reviewing in the meantime ?
Mark
zl3vml

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:25 am

I think most people are happy with the FD V3 even although they don't offer quite as much "headroom" as the full frequency-hoppers.

I plan to revisit the 2.4GHz RF side of things again in about six months time to see what's changed and if it's time to re-evaluate any of the systems.

So for the time being, I won't need any more equipment for review -- but thanks for the offer.
RCModelReviews

Postby zl3vml » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 am

No probs, Thought you could tie it in with your 'back to building your own RC gear" series you want to do, you know, like "Retrofit your old tranny" sort of thing and evaluate it at the same time...
Would you be interested in the results or writeup once I have converted my set?
Mark
zl3vml

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 am

Yes please.. it's always good to get as much input as possible on any product in the marketplace.
RCModelReviews

Re: Fly-Dream 2.4GHz Tx module problem

Postby old-relic » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I bought one for my JR9303.

The unit has worked very well however, after several weeks or flawless operation the Tx module failed.

I was able to trouble shoot the problem to the 5 pin stackable board to board header connector.
The one that connects to the five pins in the transmitter module socket.
The female pin sockets in the plastic housing on one or two pins looked bad.

I searched thru my junk box for a replacement 5 pin 2.54mm connector but
failed to find one. I ended up cutting a 16 pin two row header down to 5 pin one row.
I replaced the original one with my cut down one and everything came alive again.

The quality of the original connector seems to be poor.
The connector I installed is much better quality than the original FD one so I am hoping that the
repair will last for a while.

I would caution FD owners about swapping the Tx module in and out of their transmitters too frequently.

I was swapping it every time I was out to fly, and I think it just plain wore out.

FWIW
old-relic
old-relic

Postby zl3vml » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:03 am

Well the bits turned up and I had a go although had not intended to do it just yet...
Took me abt half an hour of messing about to fully convert an old RCM&E set I built years ago (1980) to 2.4GHz.
I am very impressed but still need to complete the install and of course range testing etc. but it is working fine so far.

Have posted some info and photo's on the RC groups forum
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=11

Mark
zl3vml

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers