AR6100 Interference?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

AR6100 Interference?

Postby GeicoGecko » Fri May 14, 2010 6:59 pm

I've had my AR6100 for some time now (although I'm sure when I bought it it wasn't called AR6100e) and recently had it installed in an airframe and had full range control. I recently moved it to an almost identical airframe (just not the chinese knock off version) and went to take the model for a fly.

Whilst performing a range check something very strange happened that I've not seen on 2.4Ghz before. Within about 10 meters the connection between the TX and RX went quiet. I released the bind button and it did come back but this meant that the range was no way near what it should be.

I then tried to diagnose the problem so dug the rx out of the bowels of the foam plane. I then repeated the range check with the same result. Not satisfied with the short range check range I then proceeded to turn both the TX and RX off and start again. I did this a number of times and only once did the TX find what seemed to be a quiet channel.

Being extremely concerned over the level of interference in the area I decided that it was not a good idea to fly!

One of the things I need to do now is to pinpoint the cause of failure. The biggest question is why would the AR6100 not work. The previous RX in the model was a AR7100 and this worked fine. Admittedly it had a satellite receiver but this shouldn't make that much difference? I need to go back and recreate the situation trying a number of different receivers. I'm also going to attempt to bind two receivers to the same model. Do you know if this is possible?

I would also really like to look into getting a USB spectrum analyser to see if it's something to do with the interference in the are or the noise being generated by my ESC etc. I see that you've mentioned these before, do you have any recommendations on USB analysers for 2.4GHz?
GeicoGecko

Re: AR6100 Interference?

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 14, 2010 9:53 pm

I've been using the WiSpy (read my review) as a good USB spectrum analyzer.

They also make models with external antennas for picking up weaker signals but if you've got any interference strong enough to affect your RC system, the model I reviewed ought to be able to show it.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos