Converting Old, Old Transmitters to 2.4

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Converting Old, Old Transmitters to 2.4

Postby hackken » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I have several old Cannon, Naviteer and Kraft transmitters on 27 & 72 Mhz and would like to convert a couple of them to 2.4 using either the FrSky of FlyDream D.I.Y. hack module. Each transmitter has an 8 cell (9.6 volt battery).
I do not have a scope but have used an earphone between the negative battery and one of the wires leading from the main board to the RF board. This enabled me to find the PPM signal which was indicated by a buzzing noise that changes while moving the sticks.
Using a digital multimeter between the negative battery and the PPM I obtained the following voltage readings:
Transmitter #1 (+ .76 volt)
Transmitter #2 (- .80 volt)
Transmitter #3 (+1.03 volts)
Transmitter #4 (+8.00 volts)
I have done considerable research, but have been unable to determine which of these transmitters would be ideal to convert to 2.4.
Perhaps there is a better procedure to determine the suitability of the PPM signal?
Any help would be appreciated. Maybe others in my situation could use this information also.
Sorry for the long post.
Ken.
hackken

Re: Converting Old, Old Transmitters to 2.4

Postby funtana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi ken, here in the uk there are a few people who post on the rcmf.co.uk forum who have and are converting old radios to 2.4, including old single channel sets and old reed sets such as the orbit 10 circa late 50s.
from what i gather the frsky is not critical to the polarity of the ppm signal, my conversions so far have been on fairly modern transmitters but how i personally would go about it if i was converting an old tx is this, find the ppm as you have allready done then wire in the module outside the tx and work the sticks and see what happens, if all is ok then do the physical fitting of the module in the tx,
using this method you could quite quickly try the module in all your transmitters, hope this helps.
funtana

Postby hackken » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 am

Funtana, thanks for your reply. I guess my primary concern is damage to the hack module if my transmitter PPM is not compatible with the module. I have read conflicting posts regarding the PPM voltage the module needs to operate properly. Any help in this regard will be very much appreciated.
hackken

Postby jazzboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Naviteer! Very cool. I purchased a single stick version a few months ago. These very rare and very nice vintage units. Are you in Canada as well?
jazzboy

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:48 pm

If you have a FlySky 6-channel computer programmable transmitter, it is possible to transplant its coder board to an old, old transmitter. There is then no need to accommodate a display and buttons, just program it via a connector. The RF part can be the FlySky or any other make, for example FrSky 2.4GHz, or even the original, why not?.
The transmitter mechanics are essentially unchanged, keeping the appearance of the original transmitter.
I have an old Futaba F710 which is good candidate on 27 MHz AM, its PCB being beyond repair from the leakage of the original NiCad.
The receivers I intend to use are modern HPI RF-2 (OEM Futaba R114H, I believe).
JMP_blackfoot

Postby hackken » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:10 am

Yes jazzboy, I am from Canada. I have a Naviteer single stick, also a couple of Naviteer two stick units as well. I fly two stick and haven't used the Naviteer single stick that I acquired a couple of years ago. It appears to be in very good condition.
I also have some Kraft and Cannon two stick transmitters on 27 & 72 MHZ AM but would like to move on to 2.4 and with the very reasonable cost of new 2.4 radios I would probably be advised to purchase a complete new radio instead of converting one of my old transmitters to 2.4.
hackken

Postby jazzboy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 am

Don't be discouraged as the cost can be very low. The Corona and FrSky (which you are already looking at) DIY systems are very reasonable. Imho the new radios feel like junk and look like cheap boom boxes. All the elegance and magic is gone and nothing matches a metal gimbal. Got some snaps on my user group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/andysrecroomrc/
If you get it converted please post a snap there as well.

Cheers,
Andy
jazzboy

Postby rogerk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:31 am

Has anyone converted a DX6 to DSM2 ?
rogerk

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks