DSMJ

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: DSMJ

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 am

Yes, I'm picking that since Horizon sell Spektrum and JR, they want to ensure there's compatibility between the two.

Since Spektrum may have to buy a license from JR to use DSMJ, they'd rather stick with DSM2 and that means they won't sell DSMJ equipment because it would remove the ability to upsell Spektrum users to JR radios.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby CustomPC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:50 am

I expect they will have to release DSM-J in Europe unless they want to blow away all their investment in in R&D for the DX10T tray model radio which will be far and away more popular in Europe than anywhere else.

Spektrum will have to release it in DSM-J because the new European laws will result in DSM2 being illegal very soon.

DSM2 is only legal in Europe now because the wording in the standards is open to interpretation which has allowed Spektrum to exploit the loophole. The new laws have been re-written i believe.
CustomPC

Postby errsemr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

CustomPC wrote:Spektrum will have to release it in DSM-J because the new European laws will result in DSM2 being illegal very soon.

I would be grateful if you could point med to an authoritative source. I'd like to see the actual laws or proposals myself.

Thanks in advance!
errsemr

Postby CustomPC » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I did a quick voltage check on the one and only DSM-J receiver i have which is the 7 channel.

At 3V the LED starts to dim and occasionally drops out.

At 2.49V it powers off completely.

Bind is pretty quick. About the same as my FASST receivers.
CustomPC

Postby BB-Q » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:24 am

CustomPC wrote:I expect they will have to release DSM-J in Europe unless they want to blow away all their investment in in R&D for the DX10T tray model radio which will be far and away more popular in Europe than anywhere else.

Spektrum will have to release it in DSM-J because the new European laws will result in DSM2 being illegal very soon.

DSM2 is only legal in Europe now because the wording in the standards is open to interpretation which has allowed Spektrum to exploit the loophole. The new laws have been re-written i believe.

That's pure conjecture.

It is being reviewed in April or August 2011 (can't remember which), but OFCOM have announced that whatever the outcome existing systems will still be legal for use. The worst case scenario is that further production of DSM2 equipment will be outlawed- which won't bother the Chinese in the slightest.

Spektrum exploited a loophole in the laws regarding DSSS and FHSS protocols and transmission strength. Cisco Systems are not happy about this and want DSM2 banned. Problem is, Cisco is an absolutely mahoosive company with a lot of sway on matters like this.

Only time will tell, but to say DSM2 will become illegal is both innacurate and misleading.
BB-Q

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:28 pm

I have a feeling that the market will force Spektrum to move long before legislators do.

One only has to check my inbox for the very significant number of people who are seriously re-evaluating their choice of RF system after losing models to DSM2.

Sure, there are lots of folks flying DSM2 so you'd expect there to be more people having problems -- but the funny thing is that I haven't had a *single* email from a Futaba user who is looking to change brands because they've lost models.

That would indicate to me that the level of the problem with DSM2 is far beyond anything that can be explained by the difference in the numbers using the gear.

Eventually, as the 2.4GHz band gets noisier and noisier with more people flying new SS systems, DSM2 users are going to find lockouts and other "unexplained loss of control" issues too much to bear.

Of course I could be wrong -- but I'd put money on it.
RCModelReviews

Postby errsemr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am

BB-Q wrote:Spektrum exploited a loophole in the laws regarding DSSS and FHSS protocols and transmission strength. Cisco Systems are not happy about this and want DSM2 banned.

I'd happy to know your source for this information.
errsemr

Postby eclipce » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:01 am

lol, Just look what i've found on miracle mart.
"Like DSM, DSM2 provides an impenetrable radio link that’s immune to every known type of RC interference." :lol:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index ... ts_id=3170
Thats the link where i've found it.
eclipce

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 am

I guess they don't call it "miracle mart" for nothing eh?

Making the impossible possible I guess ;-)
RCModelReviews

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos