Best Flight Simulator

Best Flight Simulator

Postby thos » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm interested in puchasing a flight simulator for planes. Any opions on the different programs available ? Is it worth spending the extra bucks on Realflight G5 or Phoneix simulators ?
thos

Re: Best Flight Simulator

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 pm

I only have the AeroFly Pro sim which is now well and truly out of date.

I would have upgraded to the AFP Delux version but I got screwed on my original purchase and didn't feel like spending more money on the update.

Lots of folks just use FMS but I think that most of the commercial sims have better physics.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 3dkat1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Ive had Phoenix since it came out and have lost count of the number of updates now , they include scenery , helis ,planes and version updates all at no extra cost . Physics are pretty good and looks nice too without the need for a high end PC or graphics card .My personal opinion is they fly very much like they are supposed to .And if you don't like the way a plane or heli flies you can tweak all the settings for each individual one without stuffing up the original . Can change CG , wing type, power and a whole crap load of others (if I knew what they did) .Can also make it as windy as you want . It's probably personal choice which one you go for as the commercial ones are all very good .
3dkat1

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I am a cheapskate :roll: I use FMS with an $8 cable I picked up off Ebay together with an old radio . I think Hobbyking carries the same cable for a couple of bucks. It taught me basic flying , thats it. that is all I really needed it for. I dont do 3D or helis. If I did I would get one of the better systems but as it turned out I was able to solo after only 3 five minute flying lessons from my instructor at the local field. He was amazed (and frankly so was I ) :lol: .
jeffie8696

Postby Real_Sparky » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 am

I have both Phoenix and G4.5. I mainly fly helis, and have found that g4.5 is more realistic. But it certainly isnt twice as good as Phoenix.
G4.5 also requires a super compter to run it :shock:

So my pick is Phoenix, half the price, will run on just about any computer and updates are free.
The graphics are good, not as good as G4.5, the physics are good, not as good as g4.5 but certainly up there on both counts.

my 2 cents.

Darin
Real_Sparky

Postby pushinoldrc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Back in the mid '90s, I was using a Dave Brown Flight sim that was great! I could modify all aspects of the airplane to fly very similar to the actual planes I had, although I could not modify the image of the airplane.
I have been pushing Aerofly Deluxe on all my students and flying buddies, and have found that of those that use the sim regularly, their flight skills improve dramatically. I am afraid, however, that my complacency of ground avoidance has increased dramatically as it is a lot easier, and cheaper to crash and repair a flight sim model.
Bryan
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:29 pm

I had the old Dave Brown simulator and (for its time) it was great!

I'd already learned to hover my helicopter before I bought the sim but using the DB software sure made it a lot easier to progress to forward flight, nose-in etc.

Its graphics were a far cry from those in today's simulators though.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby SimJen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:29 am

i bought Clearview RC Sim, great graphics and lots of models to download, physics okay.
I also managed to get a torrent and a crack for Realflight G3.5 which is very good, graphics are excellent and physics are pretty spot on.
Thing is, it doesn't matter what the graphics or physics are like, you need to learn for the control movements to become second nature and get your orientation sorted.
FMS is fine for this and free.
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby _H_K_U_N » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:47 am

I like http://rcdeskpilot.com/beta

Still in development but its free :)
Use it with my Futaba EX6 and a cheap USB cable.

Used it to switch my head from mode 2 to mode 1 :lol:
_H_K_U_N

Postby jpreou » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:39 am

I learned basic fixed wing and heli on an old wireframe graphics AeroChopper system on the Atari ST years ago. I went solo on planes on my third flight and helis on my first weekend, basic aeros following a few weeks later. The physics and graphics back then were highly questionable, and yet it taught me to fly. In subsequent years I have tried CSM Sim, TruFlite, FMS, Microsoft Flight Simulator (yes, really!), RealFlight. I'm back into models again now after a ten year (-ish) break and now have Phoenix. I'm running it on a 7-year old computer and while it doesn't 'fly' (urgh!), it does ok and helps get thumbs moving in the right direction. I still think sims are awesome for basic training and I still think they suck in many areas. Out of all I have tried, I think Phoenix is workign best for me; the helis are good, the planes less so, but you can tweak just about everything if you have the patience (which I don't). Just about *any* sim will teach you basic stick movements and orientations.
jpreou

Next

Return to Flight Simulators