Sourcing the new FrSky Futaba case

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Sourcing the new FrSky Futaba case

Postby beau0090_99 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Has anyone gotten the replacement case for the Futaba Tx module? I believe either Chase or Jonathan on RCGroups said it would be available from their distributors. I would like to get one so I don't have to worry about damage to the antenna.
Thanks,
Curtis
beau0090_99

Re: Sourcing the new FrSky Futaba case

Postby kneedrag » Sun May 16, 2010 9:21 am

I know they are being developed and the last batch of Futaba modules I received still had the older case. I would suspect that shortly after the modules started shipping with the new cases we would be able to get some cases to supply to our customers that require a new case.
kneedrag

Postby jomarx » Sun May 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Damage to the antenna? new case? I dont get it?

Is there a problem with the current (or maybe old) frsky futaba case?
jomarx

Postby swarrans » Mon May 17, 2010 6:04 am

Jomarx, Frsky are releasing a new case for the Futaba tx module because some of us didn't like the way the aerial connection exited at 90 degrees and meant that the aerial couldn't then go under (and be protected by) the tx handle. This was pointed out by XJet too.

Whether it's actually a risk is debatable because the loads when you rest the transmitter (effectively on the Frsky aerial) are not transmitted to the PCB, but I agree it's not ideal (I made my own plastic housing modification).

Frsky have responded by designing a housing more like the JR module which will let the aerial route beneath the tx handle and supposedly it will be available through Dealers (Giant Cod in the UK will offer it for instance) - HOWEVER - as the OP notes it hasn't been made available yet.

I'm not sure if it will be made standard either, because presumably the Optic radios use the module upside down so it wouldn't work for them?

Simon
swarrans

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 am

swarrans wrote:I'm not sure if it will be made standard either, because presumably the Optic radios use the module upside down so it wouldn't work for them?

If FrSky had their thinking caps on, they'd make a back that has a hole on both sides of the antenna platform as I mentioned my the review of the WFly modules

That way you could mount the antenna on the top for a Futaba radio or remove it and remount it on the bottom for a Hitec. By doing this, it could be mounted so as to poke upwards when used in either radio and thus solve the problem completely.

If they don't provide a back with two holes and you have a Hitec radio, it's a trivial job to simply drill the other hole yourself and relocate the antenna -- provided they've made a platform that is flat on both sides.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Mon May 17, 2010 7:43 am

AHHH, I see. Hope they can distribute it soon. And maybe distribute pics.

Anyways, thanks swarrans for the info!
jomarx

Postby beau0090_99 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 am

I emailed Mr. Wang over at Himodel, because back in April Chase (I believe) said they had them available. Here is my message and his reply (in less than 4 hours). i hope he understood, that I meant not a replacement, but the new design.

beau0090_99, Tue May 18 10:04:18 2010
Jonathan and Chase at FrSky have said that they have produced a new Tx module case that allows the antenna to be mounted parallel to the back of the transmitter. They have also said that their distributors have these cases in stock and will be able to give them to their customers for free. I ordered my Tx module about 1.5 months ago from Himodel and love it, but would like the new case so I don't damage the module. I would like to order 2 or 3 more receivers to put into my models and was wondering if you could put it into my shipment for free. Can you do this for me? How can I make sure that this gets done on my next order? By the way, I have have thoroughly pleased that I received both of my orders in 5 days.
Thanks
Curtis
Here is the post stating the new case. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=362
wxb, Tue May 18 13:13:41 2010
Hi,
Yes, we have got several pieces as well, tell me how many piece do you need, then we can send with your next order.

You can just mention this ticket ID in the Remark field on the last step when place the order.

Regards,
Wang
beau0090_99

Postby beau0090_99 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Just wanted to let you know that i received my order from Himodel yesterday and the new case was included. When the 9C was placed on it's back, the Tx rested on the back of the case, but not on the antenna at least. I modified the handle of the Tx to bend more steeply towards the back which helped. Now it rests on the handle and the two standoff pads towards the bottoms of the Tx.
Thanks to those at Himodel and FrSky to get a new case out to us.
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby jomarx » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 am

Hi curtis,

Can you post pics? I'm a bit curious on how it looks.

Thanks in advance
jomarx

Postby beau0090_99 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Here are some pictures of the installation. I am not sure if I said here that I needed to bend the handle so the back of the case isn't supporting the Tx. I ended up breaking off one end of the handle in the bench vise, but the nice guys at Futaba are shipping me a new one. I didn't tell them I was modifying it to fit my new FrSky module. :roll:
Attachments
IMG00259-20100527-0931.jpg
This is a good view of the back of the case
IMG00259-20100527-0931.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 16203 times
beau0090_99

Next

Return to Radios and Servos