Magnum 52 gasser

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

Magnum 52 gasser

Postby hazzbro » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Anyone preorder one of these? They've been delayed several months but I'm hopeful they will deliver both the motor and power it seems to produce.

If it delivers anything close to what's been shown on the prototype engines this ought to be pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwORvsf3oVs
http://www.twitvid.com/3DTWY
hazzbro

Re: Magnum 52 gasser

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:11 pm

The problem is that gas simply doesn't deliver nearly the same amount of power that methanol/nitro does so I really can't see this engine living up to the claims being made for it.

However, I'd love to be proved wrong!

The viability of a .52 gas engine however, is still a little questionable. For a start, you've got that huge CDI unit which has to be located reasonably close to the engine and then there's the weight associated with the (extra) battery required to run that CDI. Sure, you could use a combined receiver/ignition battery but then you'll still need something larger than would be the case with a glow-motor.

Also, if it's tuned for swinging larger props, will ground-clearance become an issue with the average .40-sized ARF into which most people will be putting it?

And, because it's almost certainly going to run a plain-bush big-end on the conrod, you'll still be using a (comparatively) large amount of oil in the fuel so it will still be "a slimer" and smoker.

If I can get my hands on one I'll review it but I suspect that if people are swallowing the power claims, they'll be flying off the shelves as fast as they can get them in.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Do you know how the compression ratios vary between glow and gas. Obviously one way to get more power out of gas (or alcohol for that matter) is to raise the compression ratios (to a point I know). Wonder how the typical glow compares to the newer "powerful" gas motors. This is one way YS get's a lot of their power.
hazzbro

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Glow engines generally run a higher compression than gas. They can do this because the octane rating of methanol is higher than gasoline.

Generally, if you're converting a glow engine to gas you've got to add some head-shims -- unless you were running that glow engine on high-nitro fuel (in which case the CR would already be lowered).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to IC Engines